Montpelier Ohio and what I saw

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

alittlevanwerty

Thursday I decided to finally make the drive north to Montpelier. Since It is almost a 2 hour drive from Celina I had less than 4 hours but the weather was great and I wanted to shoot some new locations. A week before I had scouted the line from Montpelier to Butler with my wife and filmed this CP train.
On the way North on 127 I stopped in Sherwood for a green signal for a westbound CSX.
Arriving in Montpelier there was a CP with GE locomotives facing east waiting for an eastbound train to come in. It was either ethanol or crude but couldn't tell at the distance. I drove to the east end of town barely catching the train it was waiting for. This was a real good start to the day, CP (pacman) ICE and StL&H makes a sweet lashup!
The CP tanks train still had to wait for another eastbound so I drove to the west side of town to film it. This would be my preferred area to film. A quiet back road with a good line of sight for the oncoming train plus a curve for the going away shot. The next train turned out to be a CP intermodal.
I decided that since I had drove this far I may as well go find the INER. I would have drove as far as South Milford if I had to. I was lucky though, 4 crossings west I found them coming into town. I shot them at three crossings before they made it into the NS yard. Before they entered NS rails they had to wait for a westbound NS autorack.
I missed my chance to get a photo of them from the bridge since I could not find a good spot to dump my car. Also the CP tank train snuyck west while I was following INER rails.
Next up was the 2nd NS train I caught, this one with foreign power.
My next catch was on the east end of town. This would have worked out better had I stayed put. It was a eastbound CP on the siding meeting a standard cab NS autorack on the main. I stopped filming as soon as the CP stopped thinking the NS was farther out and I could move for better sunlight. They met before I had made it 1/2 a mile down the road. The NS paused in the yard for another eastbound so I never got to shoot it. The eastbound was a good catch though. CP/CEFX power with one heck of a manifest!
As I was leaving town with no time to spare the INER called requesting to leave the yard. Darn guess that will be a goal for next time...

I also made an edited video of all the run by's including 2 that I did not upload a complete video of.

All in all this is one of my most fun trips so far. Maybe it was because of the weather finally warming up but there was a good variety of power and 3 different railroads. I prefer variety over numbers every time! The final tally of trains seen between 10am and 1:40pm was 5 CP, 3 NS and 1 INER. I consider that an excellent trip. There are no photos this time, I purchased a second camera so I am still trying to master operating 2 at a time. Please give

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)