Monte Holm locomotive movement

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

pkrail

Does anyone know the routing or schedule of the Monte Holm steam locomotive movement? Should be past the tri-cities by now headed towards Seattle.

thaddeusthudpucker

Meat Popsicle
This is awesome!

I remember seeing the locomotive in Moses Lake as a little kid and always wondered about it... And when I was in Alaska I saw a book about the exploits of locomotive number 557... I had no idea that these were one and the same until now.

Beverlyhelper

beverlyhelper
#557 Going Home

I'm delighted to see this happen. My father fired #557 during WWII, and I suggested to ARR several years ago they should reacquire it. When they get it up and running, I'll have to make a trip to AK!

RoadRailer

FP Engineer
Topic started here on 12/11 which included a link to the local newspaper.
http://railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=305565#post305565

On Monday, 557 was loaded onto flatcar ARR 17104 (for those who can car-trace). It is currently waiting for BNSF to perform the pre-trip inspection. Whenever that occurs, the CBRW will interchange it to the BNSF at Connell, where it'll head to Pasco. It'll probably spend most of a day here before heading down the Fallbridge/Seattle subs.

If/when I find it in Pasco, I will forward on the information.

SDP45

Abandoned line seeker
Here is a picture I got of it after they loaded it at Wheeler, WA on Monday.

RoadRailer

FP Engineer
Where is the tender for the loco?
The tender that was in Moses lake with this locomotive was not original. The ARR is said to still have the original tender in AK.

Although some have said it was a former NP tender, recent information state it was from the Copper River & Northwestern, out of Cordova, Alaska, which was abandoned in 1938.
Reportedly, the tender was swapped out at sometime while on the ARR, supposedly for use on their rotary #3. When the 557 was sold for scrap in the 60's, the tender was included.
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=167864#p167864

Cliffs

Fallbridge Sub MP 118.6
They just rolled by Maryhill. Its too foggy to get a good look at the lead unit ID #. I think its the 4614. The second unit is an FXE.

The 557 is on about the 4th car back from the power.

Edit: After a stop in Wishram, they started pulling towards Vancouver at about 17:30.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballard Beaver

ballard beaver
They just rolled by Maryhill. Its too foggy to get a good look at the lead unit ID #. I think its the 4614. The second unit is an FXE.

The 557 is on about the 4th car back from the power.

Edit: After a stop in Wishram, they started pulling towards Vancouver at about 17:30.
It's the M-PASINB, BNSF 4614. It is coming into Vancouver terminal now (21:00). They are gonna swap crews at Eavan. [edit: actual departure from vancouver 22:07]

I'm gonna go look for this thing in Seattle in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)