Montana Rail Link Manifest Trains

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Alien

Can anyone help me out with the following question? Montana Rail Link operate the Laurel - Missoula manifest train (LM / M-LAUMIS and associated return) but I seem to recall there was another similar turn between Missoula and Sandpoint (MS) (or was it Spokane?) and return (SM) or am I mistaken? I have not heard mention of this train for a number of years. If this train no longer runs, when was its last run and why did it stop? (Economic, political or practical reasons?)

Thanks.

I am not an expert on current MRL operations, but I haven't seen or heard of a Missoula to Sandpoint/Spokane train. I don't know if they used to run something back before I starting watching trains but they don't currently. The only thing MRL operates going west of Missoula are a couple of locals, and the day/night gas trains. There is a daily BNSF symboled train the M-LAUPAS and M-PASLAU (Laurel, MT and Pasco, WA) that I think picks up or sets out cars at Missoula. Also I have seen an occasional M-LAUSPO or M-SPOLAU (Laurel, MT and Spokane, WA), but those aren't regular symbols. Maybe somebody else who has been around longer may know if MRL used to run a MS train.

Thanks for the reply. This is useful info. I presume the locals that you mention are the Paradise Local and the Bitterroot Valley. I have noted the Gas Local picking up cars at Paradise and presumably it will set out cars there as well.

Yes the locals include the Paradise and Bitterroot Valley. The Bitterroot valley branch has struggled over the last several years with lower traffic volumes, washouts, and businesses closing. In fact the line was shut down for 1-2 years after a larger washout. However as of summer of 2013 the repairs are completed and trains are running occasionally. The Paradise local operates out of Paradise, MT to switch the businesses along MRL's 4th subdivision. There used to be a Polson local running out of Paradise to Polson, MT as well but after several businesses closed it stopped running in 2009. The day and night gas trains will set out or pick up cars in Paradise, MT for the Paradise local. I think most of the time it is the night gas that does this, but I could be either.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back