Modern CN Bunkhouse

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Mcleod

This is the CN bunkhouse located in Whitecourt, Alberta. It was built in 1999-2000, and replaced the older bunkhouse on the same spot, that was a commercial portable type set-up.
I know that the different roads favor standardizing their common buildings, so I feel confident one could find this same type of building in other locations along CN's track system.
Photographed in February, 2020, these 3 photos show all of the exterior walls of the structure. The pics were collected just in case I ever wanted to build a scale model of this building, and are now part of my own local historical record.

North and west walls - front entrance
NW_Feb2020.jpg

North and east walls - 2nd flr exterior exit
NE_2020.jpg

South and east walls - South wall facing the tracks.
SE_Feb2020.jpg

Have a good day
Guy

Wow, they didn’t waste much money on decorations did they? The brick work is a nice touch, but otherwise strictly utilitarian. I’d have expected a few more windows in what I’m guessing is the entry and stairs to the second floor. I suppose they present a security risk and let heat out though.

Wow, they didn’t waste much money on decorations did they? The brick work is a nice touch, but otherwise strictly utilitarian. I’d have expected a few more windows in what I’m guessing is the entry and stairs to the second floor. I suppose they present a security risk and let heat out though.
That's for sure, Bob. The modern railway buildings are certainly not as ornate as they were in times past. This bunkhouse looks like a smaller version of the large work camp dorms one finds in the Ft McMurray oil sands projects, which are built from actual prison designs, in many cases.
As late as 1965, there was a CN 3rd class depot standing on the spot now taken up by the current bunkhouse.
TrainStation Whitecourt1965.jpg

That's for sure, Bob. The modern railway buildings are certainly not as ornate as they were in times past. This bunkhouse looks like a smaller version of the large work camp dorms one finds in the Ft McMurray oil sands projects, which are built from actual prison designs, in many cases.
As late as 1965, there was a CN 3rd class depot standing on the spot now taken up by the current bunkhouse.
View attachment 92320

Well, I was thinking converted barn, but yes, I can definitely see the prison influence there too. I suppose it's just a place to sleep and maybe NOT having sunlight come in when crews are resting during the day would be a good idea. I'd still have expected a few windows though.

I stayed at a hotel in Yellowstone that felt like it was copied from an oil field design, but it was much brighter. Each unit was like a tiny apartment, with a small kitchen, a seating area and desk, and the balcony was also the hallway for room access. That was both good and bad, as it was roomy but also very public. So you had to be careful about closing the drapes.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back