Metra Locos

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

lmackattack

I live at the end of the line at the Fox lake IL Metra station. they park some of the trains here for the night so they are ready for the morning rush hour.

Took my 1977 Mack for a run today and took a few pics at the yard.

Captain92

Nice Mack. Is it a pure Mack? The one I drove for Flying J in the 80's had a Cummins and 15 speed in it. We had some pure Mack CF fire engines in the early 70's that were very nice. Plenty of torque at low RPM's. Straight 5 speeds. You could turn a corner, go up one to 4th and put your foot into it and it would just go. Smoke would roll until the turbo caught up with it.
Lynn (dog gone)

lmackattack

Yea its 100% "gold dog" Mack. 1977 RS700L,Tip turbine 285HP, 2 stick 6 speed, 5 speed main with the aux stick for low,direct and reverse. total of 6 forward speeds and 5 reverse gears. 4.17 mack rears. Its a great truck for IL flatlanders. after 30MPH you dont shift anymore all the way untill it tachs out at 2100RPM-65MPH. She is not a speed demon but it was built when speed limits were still 55MPH. Only thing is it rides rough with the camelbacks. need to put air shocks on the cab to help that.
She looks like an old ALCO after you catch each gear. as you said that turbo lags a little with the wide 900RPM drop. Rev it up to 2100 shift and it falls to about 1100RPM put your foot back to the floor, she throws the black and keeps pulling. has over a million miles on her.

Captain92

Sounds like fun! I thought I saw the golden dog on it. I always loved the sound of those Mack engines. Sounded tough like the rest of the truck. Yes that suspension is a little rough without a few tons, OK quite a few tons on it. Had a Hendrickson rubber block suspension on a Ford LTL-9000. I don't think you could put enough weight on it to soften the ride.
Lynn

lmackattack

yea shes been a good old truck.add oil and fuel,check the water, kick the tires and your ready to go... I bought it in 2005 and put it to work hauling End dump and low boys untill the end of 2008. no work with the bad economy. here is a better pic of the truck.

This Rail line is also used by the Wisconson and southern. At night you can catch a freight after the last commuter makes its way back from Chicago. Get to hear one go by every night as I live 2 mins from this yard..

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)