May 2020 Photo Contest - Show us your best photo!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHOTO CONTEST!

contest.jpg

Since this is the first contest in a very long time, we're going to make it easy for this contest.

The theme is: Hit us with your best shot!

No subject, no date requirements, just pick one of your favorites and post it as a reply.

The rules are simple:
1) Photos must be your own work. No exceptions.

2) You may enter ONE photo per contest. Pick your best. You may change your entry up until the contest closing date.
To enter, post your photo as a reply to this message. Please include a descriptive caption.
If you would like to have your real name featured if you win, rather than your user name, please include your name in your comments.

3) Photos should adhere to the theme, if applicable. Generally themes will be pretty general in nature.
For this month, it just needs to be railroad related, and suitable for general audiences.

4) The winner will be decided by a poll of the forum members.

The winning photo will be announced on the website and also featured on our Facebook page and group.

Entries open until 5/31/20. I will then create a poll with all images submitted. The poll will be open for 10 days for voting.

In order to keep things fair, please don't comment on the photos until after the contest has finished.

Last edited:

Comments

Status
To enter, post your image (just one) in a reply here.

Include a descriptive caption, and your real name if you want your name shown if you win. Otherwise we'll credit you by your forum user name.

An idling C40-8W parked on a siding, while it waits for MoW workers to open the mainline to Edmonton. May 05, 2020.
C40-8W Contest1.jpg

With a snowstorm in progress, UP 7043 blasts thru the tiny town of Durham Kansas at full track speed leading westbound local LMS55
2/11/20

010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I call this one "Midnight Fire Up". Featuring the Mt Rainier Scenic Railroad's Porter #5. It was a dark night, no other lights at the shop. Once I got enough steam to run the dynamo, I set up my camera on a tripod, opened the shutter, and walked alongside of the engine with a hand held flash.
My name is Randy Marquis

20180216_123848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't say this is my best photo, but it is one of my favorites. Taken 7-23-2009 at Mile Post 18 on Sunset Ave. in Edmonds, WA with my first dSLR camera, a Canon Rebel XSi using an EF-S 18-55 wide angle zoom @ 18mm. I spent that summer experimenting with sunset shots from (where else) Sunset Ave.

There was a group of us that hung out there to watch trains and yack. We called ourselves the Mile Post 18 Gang. I think a good photo includes good memories and a good story as well as a good image.

Settings = 1/125 @ f/7.1, ISO 200. Handheld.

IMG_0001_2.jpg

Last edited:
Alaska Trip- Alaska RR~ Resurrection 083 (4).jpg

Alaska Railroad June 2015 heading to Seward along Turnagian Arm right after having breakfast in the dining car with the Chugach Mountains as a backdrop.

Back on June 18th 2004,
The WSOR's T4 ran South out of Duplainville heading toward the CP diamond and then to it's home rails in Waukesha Wi.

Camera: Make: OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTD - Model: E-10
Exposure Time: 1/640 sec
F Number: f/5
ISO Speed ratings: ISO 80
Focal Length: 20 mm
A Ron Wischer Photo
wsor at s duplainville.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_15453802401029_20181011_163131838_wm.jpeg

DRGW 453 marches south out of Antonito early on an autumn morning with a Friends of the C&TS photo freight on Sunday, September 30th, 2018. Beyond the settlement of San Antonio stretches the vast San Luis Valley, with the South Piñon Hills in the middle distance providing relief to the otherwise featureless desert. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains rise like a great wall 50 miles to the east, punctuated by 13,676-foot Purgatorie Peak at center. (Dave Honan)

A W/B grainer rolls across the Klickitat river bridge during the morning Blue Hour. Lyle, WA @ 07:00, 02 SEP 2018.

Lyle Blue Hour.jpg

An engine crew member walks the crossing at K Street as Granite Rock #10 pulls into the Sacramento waterfront depot.

IMG_8629a.jpg

Status

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)