Marshalltown, IA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

GRRR

OH, C'MON REF!!!!
A post on another board said the UP #4141 Bush unit may be headed to Marshalltown, IA. for some work. My question is, what's in Marshalltown? A major repair facility? A brief history, please. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoohogger

Whistle Pig
Marshalltown

The Marshalltown Diesel shops were built in the early 1950's by the M&StL Railroad. M&StL was aquired by CNW in 1960 and was a major repair shop for them also.
Always a fun place to go and see all the power that came in for repair and what was on the deadline going for trade.
U.P. still uses it. I don't know to what extent, cause once the CNW F units left, I kinda lost interest.

I'll bet there is local there that can tell us what is happening there now.

EMD Employee

Up 4141

UP 4141 was in Marshalltown for warranty work including piston rings and other mods along with some fresh touch up paint and new heading in the cab. Electro Motive Diesel (EMD) has a shop in Marshalltown since August 1 2011

GRRR

OH, C'MON REF!!!!
UP 4141 was in Marshalltown for warranty work including piston rings and other mods along with some fresh touch up paint and new heading in the cab. Electro Motive Diesel (EMD) has a shop in Marshalltown since August 1 2011
Thanks for the info. I had heard of Marshalltown before, back in the CNW days. Didn't know if the shops, etc. (not the town) survived the UP merger or what became of it. Is there a lot of work going on there? Once again, thanks.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)