LORAM, few questions about them

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

J

jmckay55

Howdy guys, Brand new here, was told by a UP employee that you guys are pretty knowledgeable.

Basically I was offered a job at LORAM and I have passed my backgrounds and drug test and am waiting on confirmation on a class but was told it would be around JAN 20th... My first question is what is the physical that they give you when getting up there, is it just a physical to get xrays of your back height and weight and all that BS or is it also a physical assessment, like moving a 40lb block from here to there 20 times? Not gonna lie i'm over weight but have always worked physical jobs( im a former welder and iron worker) and never had an issue, one guy had listed that they put him on a weight restriction and then sent him home but didnt list anything else to that effect.

My second question is how easy is it to get another railroad job in the future, what I mean by that is do the bigger rail road companies look down on loram employees or do they credit you the time you put in on the rail as valuable when making a hiring decision. I have a UP car repair yard in my hometown and would like to, in a few years, get on at that site. Specially with having welding and hopefully soon some rail road experience.

Any reply's or opinions on LORAM welcome.. still dont know to much about it as not to many people voice a praise or foul mouth about them.

I have been with Loram for 15 years, all on ballast cleaners, so I hope I can help.

I have heard of a couple physical tests, be able to lift 50 lbs, be able to hang off a ladder like a brakeman for like 5 minutes. I believe they have a doctor check you out as well.

As far as railroad employment, at one time I was told 3 years at Loram was considered railroad experience.

I have been to Canada, Mexico and Brazil, and had opportunity to go to China and Australia as well.

Hope this helps.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back