Looking for people to railfan with

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

meme6885

Looking for people to railfan with in seattle area

Hi, I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area and I'm kinda new to railfanning, I've taken a few videos on my way to work and on the way home, but I think it would be more fun with people who enjoy the same thing. I go up to seattle quite a bit on my days off. Hopefully I'll find some people to railfan with

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Railroad Forums. I suggest you check the western US forum for the local "hotspots" where you are more than likely to run into railfans. Post up some of your videos on the video section as well.

Lots of Puget Sound types on these forums.
The problem is it's kinda hard to break into the right groups, but once you're in it's a great time. Took me a while to get in with the right people. I'd suggest just talking with folks you encounter while chasing trains. I see other railfans all the time while I'm out. Sadly, with groups like the NRHS becoming less of a conduit for rail fans to meet, what people say is an easier time to meet other fans, is in fact more difficult as there are no monthly meetings or events to go to like there used to be.
I would strongly suggest this annual event: http://www.gorgerail.com/ I've never been, but most of the guys who have their ears to the ground usually go to it.
Also, check for model train meets, plenty in the area. Hobby shops are good for finding like minded folks.

Lee,

I have heard rumors that 2014's Gorgerail happens to be on the day Mt. Rainier Scenic planned a triple-header... Bob can confirm the date as I don't have it off hand..

SP&SFan

Lee,

I have heard rumors that 2014's Gorgerail happens to be on the day Mt. Rainier Scenic planned a triple-header... Bob can confirm the date as I don't have it off hand..

SP&SFan

Check the next thread down from this one. Gorgerail 2014 has been canceled. There are still plenty of other events where you can meet railfans. Once passenger service north of Seattle is restored, you can ride a train to Edmonds and hang out at MP 18.

Wow, I had no idea they'd cancelled Gorgerail. The only time I really hear about it is when the organizers of it push the living heck out of it at the 'Autum Leaf' slideshow in Centralia each October. I know some guys who go to it (and say it's a good time), but I've never been.
So, to ammend my original ideas a little, how about keeping an eye on special railfan events on the local tourist RR websites? I know Mt Rainier is running a steam up on May 17. http://mrsr.info/news/ It's not cheap, but I'd suspect you'd meet a LOT of the local railfan folks there. I know I plan on going...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back