Looking for GP-30 photos

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

gloppe

Hi everyone,

I'm new here.
I registered because I am looking for photos of the GP-30. I am working on a very highly detailed 3D model of this locomotive, building every little screw on the outside hull. However I am lacking reference to work that detailed.
All I got are shots of the full train, and often times the resolution is not very good.
So I wanted to ask if anyone might have good pictures of this unit, or can point me into the right direction?
What would be amazing is a walk around or something like that with detailed closeups.

All pictures I can find are mostly like this: http://cencalrails.railfan.net/up849prm.jpg
Which is good too, but I need to see details of rivets and hinges etc., I'd like to see the millimeter distance of one metal hull panel to the next one, things like that, to be able to create an accurate 3d model.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, so please excuse if it is not in the right place.

I'd really appreciate any kind of suggestions or help :)

Thanks everyone for the help!

papio
that's an awesome collection, thanks a lot!
If they were a bit bigger it would be just amazing, but very helpful still! Thanks!

Pat
unfortunately I'm located in Vancouver and don't have a car so I can't really make a trip to find one, otherwise that wold be perfect. Thanks though for the suggestion!

Bruce
Thanks, I emailed you!

Pat
unfortunately I'm located in Vancouver and don't have a car so I can't really make a trip to find one, otherwise that wold be perfect. Thanks though for the suggestion!

Which Vancouver? Vancouver WA has at least two working in the yard recently, but one has a replacement GP35 style cab.

Bruce Pryor

I have two jpegs of a GP30 from the Penn Central. Don't know if you can use them or not, but you are welcome to them. PC GP30 2191.JPGPC vs VW.JPG. If they will work I can e-mail them to you.

I doubt anyone will have photos in the detail you need, but check my Mile Post 18 thread in the Western US forum for ones I have taken.
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?29675-Mile-Post-18-news

There are rebuilt GP30's which regularly operate on locals in the Seattle-Everett area and on locals north out of Everett to Anacortes. If anyone here can narrow that down even further as to time and location, perhaps it would be worth your while to rent a car and drive down to photograph one yourself.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back