Locomotive ID Website?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Alvard

I looked in the forum and couldn't find this question. I am relativly new to train watching. I would love to find a site where I could enter information about locomotives or cars that I see and get any information avaliable as to the history of that equipment. Does such a site exist?

Thanks.

Alvard

I like the photos, but I am also looking for history. When was it built, who owned it. when. where did it run. what did it haul most. major news such as accedents or records. That kind of thing.

pedrop

A Railfan in Brazil
I like the photos, but I am also looking for history. When was it built, who owned it. when. where did it run. what did it haul most. major news such as accedents or records. That kind of thing.
Not only locomotives there. Opne a photo like this link below and see the data about builder, serial number, old companies, etc. Of course, it depends on if the owner classified the photos as the web site allows.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=134404

Owner: Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe
Model: SD45 Built As: ATSF 1842 (SD45)
Serial Number: 32518 Order No: 5722
Frame Number: 5722-13 Built: 11/1966
Other locos with this serial: ATSF 5308(SD45u) WC 7585(SD45) WC 6585(SD45) ATSF 1842(SD45) ATSF 5542(SD45)

Pedro

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)