Lincoln, NE area shots

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
This will be a thread where I dump any and all pictures RR associated that I take in and around Lincoln. I attend the University of Nebraska and my parking lot is right next to the busy Creston Sub northeast of Hobson Yard (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.824186,-96.703276&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&gl=us&z=18). Most the photos I take will be of what I see while parking and heading to class so please excuse the amateurism of them. I hope to actually get out and go 'fanning one of these days when I'm not cramming for tests. I am open for critique on my photos so feel free to jump in with advice or slander. Anyone else who has photos in the Lincoln area and would like to post them are more than welcome to do so on this thread as well if they so choose. I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very nice of you to share your fav. spot with us :) I don't think I could bring myself to do such a thing,...I'm greedy like that though...

Do you need a special university pass to park there?

Your talk of Railfanning in college reminds me of the only spring break "trip" I took. The kind of spring break only this kind of forum could appreciate. I went out to Gibbon, Nebraska and watched about 140 trains roll by. Turned out they were flying by too fast for the crappy old camera I had at the time. So I got a bunch of developed film of yellow blurs,..but I still had a good time.

Here is a good site that has pictures and historical shots from literally FEET from the green arrow in your Google/map.

http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/history.html

The MP and CNW GP-9s were taken at about the same location of your photo above.

That's a great read Chet, I'm a huge fan of any historical pictures of Railroad in Lincoln, esp on lines that aren't there anymore. There was a good article in the Lincoln Journal Star about the history of Rock Island in Lincoln the other day, I hope everyone got a chance to read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good site that has pictures and historical shots from literally FEET from the green arrow in your Google/map.

http://www.trainweb.org/screamingeagle/history.html

The MP and CNW GP-9s were taken at about the same location of your photo above.

I've actually come across that website before but never actually explored it. Thanks for bringing it up, Chet.

That's very nice of you to share your fav. spot with us :) I don't think I could bring myself to do such a thing,...I'm greedy like that though...

Do you need a special university pass to park there?

I wouldn't necessarily call it my favorite spot. It's just the parking lot I park in 5 days a week when I go to class. I usually see something waiting for a clear signal to enter Hobson or a slow roller leaving town so I figured I'd bring my camera everyday to start catching it all. I missed a nice consist today which included a white nose BN EMD, two ATSF Warbonnets, and a CSX GEVO. I could see it as I walked back but it was too far away to snap. I just have a University park pass to park there during the week. It's open on weekends though.

Been hunting for that unit. Where did you catch it at?

It's usually parked in the OLB shed with the doors closed. It rarely sees daylight.

Wow. you got more snow that we did. We just got a couple inches of salt.

Awesome Power!

FYI, I uploaded a new google earth map to the Railfans of Omaha and CB Group today. I did a lot of work on the Lincoln area. I got BN, UP, CNW, CRIP, MoPac all in there. Crazy when you think Lincoln is about 99% BNSF now and most of the old ROW are bike trails.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back