LARGE concrete on cars

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

storminorman

Friday during the day I watched a short unit roll thru Goshen IN with 5 large rail cars, with double trucks on each end, hauling some very LARGE pre-cast concrete structures. They were at least as high as I see double stacked container units. At the end were 5 more cars with what appeared to be the lids for the units. My cell phone battery died right then and I couldn't get any pics. Did anyone else see this, or get any pics of it?

storminorman

They were rectangle shaped units with a decent size hole formed running from front the rear. I'll bet they are still out there somewhere, West of here....Goshen IN that is.

storminorman

Nope, not prison cell structures. Each pre-cast piece took an entire car length. The rail cars had double trucks at each end as well telling me these critters were heavy....I'm guessing some sort of storm or sanitation units. Thanks for the suggestions tho.

Tacoma Tom

That's too bad nobody has a picture of the cars. I have been around trains my whole life and I have never seen large slabs of concrete on railcars.

BN9244

Was this what you saw?

http://nels1jac.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3013890

They're used to store spend fuel rods at nuclear power plants. A bunch of these just moved up to Xcel Energy's Monticello Nuclear Plant last week. I almost wonder if you saw the same cars.

The move took place on BNSF's Monticello Sub, which runs from Cedar Lake Jct in Minneapolis to the end of track at the nuke plant on the west side of Monticello. It used to continue on to St. Cloud. The section of track from Albertville to the plant is exempt, and only remains in to serve Xcel Energy. Catching a train on this section is very rare, as only three moves prior to this one have occured over the last 10 years.

For those interested, I filmed part of the move as it made its way through the west side of Monticello.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkUTUWWONnk

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)