Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad ( ‎July ‎22, ‎2017)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO bldr
‎I took these photos on July ‎22, ‎2017 of the static display of the Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad locomotive, ore car and caboose.
This is located in Port Henry NY on the west side of Lake Champlain.

The railroad and Lake Champlain barge routes were established to transport goods to market. Until the great open pit mines of the west were developed, Moriah was a capital of the iron industry. In its early history, a mill was first built in Port Henry in 1766 with the first permanent settlement in 1785.

The Locomotive is a RS-18 DL-718 built by the Montreal Locomotive Works, a Canadian subsidiary of the American Locomotive Company from 1904-1964.

Note: The depot is still active today and is used by Amtrak daily. On normal schedule Amtrak runs north and south 2xs a day from Montreal to NYC.

20170722_191940.jpg
20170722_191951.jpg
20170722_191954.jpg
20170722_192011.jpg
20170722_192016.jpg
20170722_192121.jpg
20170722_192126.jpg
20170722_192129.jpg
20170722_192319_edit crop.jpg

The caboose almost looks like it was built from an old ore hopper and it looks like they got the trucks mixed up on the caboose and hopper!

By the way the Amtrak train that runs this route is called the Adirondack fyi.....currently no service north of Albany due to Corona virus.

Adirondack (New York – Montreal): No service north of Albany

The Adirondack is an intercity rail passenger train operated daily along the Empire Corridor by Amtrak between New York City and Montreal. The trip takes approximately 11 hours to cover a published distance of 381 miles, traveling through the scenic Hudson Valley and the Adirondack Mountains.

Train number(s)68 (southbound), 69 (northbound)

I see the sign now on my computer, but didn't read it when I was on my Kindle. Looks like it could be used as an armored car!

Eleven hours to go 381 miles? That's just a little over 34 miles an hour average speed! Must be some awfully scenic country!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back