Keddie Wye - Bucket List!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Great shots. I'm glad you made it. I made it up there twice when I lived in Sacramento in the early 70's-early 80's. There is probably much more traffic now than when it was the WP.

I hope MP 18 is on your railfan bucket list.

There used to be a 3rd leg thru the hill but it's not used any more.

In the mid 80's there was a derailment on the WP mainline at the Keddie yard a few yards to the right of the last box car in Brad's second photo. The WP used the portion of the wye that runs through the tunnel to keep east-west traffic moving while the derailment was cleaned up and rail repaired.

Cabooses were attached to both ends of freights. Eastbounds were routed up the north leg of the wye (left leg in Brad's photos) on the "High Line" towards Bieber. Once the caboose cleared the switch, the train was backed east through the tunnel into the yard. Power was added to what now became the head end. The power on what was now the rear of the train was removed and left waiting in the yard for a westbound. The process was reversed for westbounds.

A railfan happened to be standing on the highway where Brad took the first two photos and filmed the derailment as it happened. The derailment, caused by a broken rail, took place almost exactly where I had parked my car during a visit to the wye several years earlier. My friend was handicapped and remained at my car while his son and I walked around the area. He most likely would have been killed and my car buried under freight cars had the derailment occurred while we were there.

It was a different era and the WP was very tolerant of railfans on their property as long as you didn't do anything stupid. Times have changed and I wouldn't do many of the things now that I did back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back