KCS Reports Record Revenues for 1Q20

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Kansas City Southern (KCS) reported record revenues of $731.7 million, an increase of 8% from first quarter 2019. Overall, carload volumes were up 4% compared to prior year.

The first-quarter revenues were primarily led by an 18% increase in Chemicals and Petroleum due primarily to increased refined fuel products and liquid petroleum gas shipments to Mexico. Intermodal revenues grew 11%, driven primarily by strong cross-border shipments. Agriculture and Minerals and Industrial and Consumer Products revenues also increased by 9% and 6%, respectively. These increases were partially offset by revenue declines in the remaining two commodity groups. Energy revenues declined by 13%, as increased Crude Oil shipments were more than offset by declines in Utility Coal and Frac Sand; Automotive revenues declined by 6%.

Full Story:

That's pretty impressive. I remember when the KCS did not have 2 nickels to rub together.

Indeed, they're doing really well and just keep getting better. I don't recall all of the details, but I think a lot of the growth has to do with improving connections to Mexico and snagging a lot of that traffic. Along with general improvements to the railroad and rolling stock.

Let's hope things improve soon so they can keep up the good work.

On Another Note, My first wife and I rode the "Southern Belle" from K.C. to Shreveport about a month before the passenger service was dropped. It was the only "long distance" train ride I was able to make prior to Amtrak. Driving was MUCH faster!

The first-quarter revenues were primarily led by an 18% increase in Chemicals and Petroleum due primarily to increased refined fuel products and liquid petroleum gas shipments to Mexico.

Well, bet that's not going to look quite so good this quarter. Ouch.

On Another Note, My first wife and I rode the "Southern Belle" from K.C. to Shreveport about a month before the passenger service was dropped. It was the only "long distance" train ride I was able to make prior to Amtrak. Driving was MUCH faster!

LOL, but at least you can say you experienced it. I did manage to ride the Pennsylvania Railroad as a kid. It was just a commuter train, but it counts. The family story goes that my great grandfather took me into the station in Pittsburgh, I didn't want to get on. When we got home an hour or so later, I didn't want to get off! (Been that way ever since.)

Another kid story, when I was young, I rode on Allegheny Airways (Or, as we called them "Allegheny SCAREways" as those old planes of theirs were sketchy, and crashed once in a while). I recall being very upset that we were on prop planes, rather than a jet. As a result, I ended up flying on some Fairchild F27's and Convair 580's, cool old prop planes that I'm now glad I got a chance to ride.

1587941126801.png

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back