In Search of MKT Infomation

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Brenden Perkins

Hello everyone,

I live very close to the Katy trail here in St.Charles, Missouri but am too young to have experienced trains through there.

I am looking for information about the line. Things mainly related to the East end of the trail.

What were the businesses along this line?

Where was the connection to another main line on the East end? Machens or St. Charles possibly?

Doesn't the U.P. still technically have the right to reopen this line if there was ever a reason to do so because the line was rail-banked in the Rails-to-Trails act?

I would love to hear more about this line so, let me hear anything you know.

Thanks in advance!

nordique72

Displaced CNW Fan
What were the businesses along this line?

Where was the connection to another main line on the East end? Machens or St. Charles possibly?

Doesn't the U.P. still technically have the right to reopen this line if there was ever a reason to do so because the line was rail-banked in the Rails-to-Trails act?

I would love to hear more about this line so, let me hear anything you know.

Thanks in advance!
The MKT connected with the CBQ at Machens where they ran on trackage rights down to North St. Louis. There isn't much left to see of the old interlocking at Machens now besides the remaining BNSF ex-CBQ line north to Hannibal. The line closely hugged the river through St. Charles on the north bank of the river- one notable industry the MKT served in town was the American Car and Foundry Plant which had assembly shops located downtown St. Charles (a couple of which have been converted into a nice community center). I'd have to look and see what else I could find for industries in town when I get all my things unpacked from my recent move.

As far as rebuilding the line- don't hold your breath. The line was notorious for flooding being so close to the river, so much so that the MKT jettisoned the line for trackage rights on the UP's ex-MP main through Jefferson City in 1986 after flood damage to the line. Despite the line being part of Rails-To-Trails and having a provision that it is technically "railbanked" for future reuse as a rail corridor, the chances of that are about nil. The UP has other ways to improve capacity, and I don't think they'd want to inherit the flood troubles of this line that the MKT suffered with.

Brenden Perkins

Thank you all, I will do that.

nordique72, Thank you very much. The old ACF buildings are very cool to look at. My sister's wedding reception was actually in the community center there. It's nice but it doesn't have much of a rail history feel to it. Though, The overhead crane is still in place.

I'm definitely not holding my breath for it. I was just day dreaming thinking how the line was a great bypass around K.C. to Parsons, Kansas and how great a tourist line could do on the St.Charles to Agusta section. Dinner Trains, Wine trains.. It'd be awesome. Oh well I guess.

Did you just move out here? I live close to the old line, right around Weldon Spring where the Katy went to the old ammo factory.

nordique72

Displaced CNW Fan
Brenden,

I grew up in the St. Louis area on the Illinois side in Edwardsville- my experience with St. Charles came in 2004 when I did my student teaching stint for 8 weeks there at one of the local high schools before moving to Texas. We had some student art works displayed at the old ACF center downtown as well.
As a kid I had a copy of "the Railfans Guide to St. Louis"- now much outdated, but it gave me a great interest in all of the local St. Louis operations.
If you're interested, the old freight house/yard office complex is still standing at the former MKT Baden Yard on the north side of St.Louis. The majority of the yard is now gone and used for intermodal storage, but the 1960s brick building at the north end of the yard is still there and apparently in use. You can still see it on satellite maps just north of the BNSF yard in North St. Louis near Hall and Gimblin Streets.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)