If you could operate your own railroad II

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Midsouth fan

Engr/'duc/brkmn/DS
I tried opening the original thread to post on it, but it appears to be stuck. If anyone can fix it and add this to the thread that would be awesome:

My railroad would be "The Little Rock". If you know your CRI&P history, this was the nickname given to the 200 mile long "branch line" that ran from Little Rock, AR to Winnfield, LA. From Winnfield they used trackage rights on the L&A Railroad (KCS) the remaining 46 miles to Alexandria where they connected with their own line to Eunice, LA. The branch was given the nickname "Little Rock" because they could've operated as an independent RR, according to the employees, "if the people running the Rock Island would leave us alone!"

My version of The Little Rock would run this exact line. I would have the line fully upgraded with 136# ribbon rail, stronger bridges, and new roadbed/surfacing. My engine fleet would be a mix of GM models: a few SD-70s for over-the-road jobs, some SWs or MPs for yard jobs, and some 4-axle GPs for locals and to assist where needed.

Paint scheme--Rock Island's blue-black-n-white...with a couple of minor changes. 1st, a black "L" would connect to the black "R". "THE ROCK" in white letters would become "THE LITTLE ROCK". I would name my locomotives after the towns on my line.

Commodities hauled: Chemicals, lumber and other wood products, paper (from the mill in Hodge, LA), general merchandise, and I bet I could get some kind of intermodal and unit grain traffic. Passengers: maybe an occasional excursion. But, if there was a great demand for it, I'd give it a shot.

My class 1 interchange partners would be few. I would connect with the UP in Alexandria, El Dorado, Fordyce, and Little Rock. I would connect with the KCS in Alexandria and Ruston, LA. My shortline connections, however would be plentiful (some fantasy, but also real): Packton, LA (where I would have given re-birth to the Louisiana Midland! :D) Winnfield (re-birth of the Tremont & Gulf RR and bring back the L&A line from Winnfield to Sibley, and buyout Watco's other Louisiana Southern line:D:p), Hodge (I would try to get my current employer, the Louisiana & North West RR, to own the line from Hodge to Gibsland. In real life, Gibsland is the southern terminus for the LNW, and Watco's Louisiana Southern operates Gibsland to Alexandria), the El Dorado & Wesson in El Dorado, AR, the Fordyce & Princton at Tinsman Jct (the line from Tinsman to Crossett, AR was, in real life, a Rock Island branch), and the Little Rock and Western in Little Rock.

Of course for any of this to work, I would have to buy out Watco's LAS line, the Ouachita RR, maybe the Fordyce n Princeton. Then do a slight re-route between Quitman, LA and the Jackson/Lincoln Parish line where the state widened US 167 and put the northbound lanes on the original CRI&P ROW.

Can someone guide me to one of those drawing sites so I could try to draw this paint scheme on a locomotive?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)