How to post photos in the gallery?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Since we have a lot of new members, thought it might be a good time for a reminder about the photo gallery.

Along with the forum, we also offer the photo gallery as a place to display your best photos. Posting there is easy. Click on "Railroad Photos" at the top of any page. That will take you to this page: https://railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?media/

Click on the orange "Add Media" link in the upper right corner to add your photos.

Select a category (Don't worry if you're unsure, we can always move them) and add a description.

Select your images and upload them. No need to worry about re-sizing them, the forum will accept images up to 60 MB and automatically re-size them for you. So basically any photo you have will work fine, as is.

Please remember that all photos posted to the gallery must be your own work.
If you'd like to "Share" a photo (linked with proper photo credit), please only do that in the forum.

I posted 5 pictures in the gallery today and it told me I was out of storage. I wanted to delete those photos and resize them. However, I could not find any way to delete them. Is there a way? If not, is that it for my pictures - I can load no more? Thanks for the help.

Sorry about that. As a moderator I thought I could help you, but I cannot delete the photos either. You will have to wait until Bob the owner/administrator can help.

Once the photos are deleted, I suggest you start a thread in the Midwestern US section of the forum and post your photos there. . There is no limit on photos and the site should automatically resize them.

Yeah, this is a Bob issue. You've found a setting problem in the gallery. It's supposed to re-size images, but it's not. The result was the image uploaded at full resolution, and they're 5 mb (!) each. That's why you ran out of space. There's certainly no intent to limit anyone to 5 images, LOL!

Feel free to delete them. I entered them as a thread, where I was told this wasn't an issue. Thanks!

Feel free to delete them. I entered them as a thread, where I was told this wasn't an issue. Thanks!

Yes, those particular images work better in a thread anyway, since they're a sequence and they tell a story. The forum also automatically shrinks them to 1600 wide, plenty large enough for viewing, while still being a reasonable file size.

However, you should be able to post your best work in the gallery and post more than 5 images. I'm going to get the setting fixed so that's possible.

OK, I've modified the gallery settings. The maximum image with there is 3840, which is a 4K image. You do NOT need to resize your images, the gallery will (now) do it for you. So upload as normal, but they will be scaled down to the 3840. If they're already less than 3840 pixels in the widest direction, they will not be reduced any further.

I've also increased the file storage allotment for members, you should now be able to do a lot more than 5 images. Several hundred at least. If anyone is bumping into the max limit, let me know.

Hello, I posted one image as a test and am wondering about editing it. i.e. description? (I can only edit tags).

Under the old system uploading a was a two step process, in step 2 I entered:
The train #
Date
Roster Notebook

I was waiting for Step 2 to come up, but the image just posted... Looking for a user manual 🙃

Similarly how can I replace the image with a better edit if I choose to do so in the future?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 220
Hello, I posted one image as a test and am wondering about editing it. i.e. description? (I can only edit tags).

Under the old system uploading a was a two step process, in step 2 I entered:
The train #
Date
Roster Notebook

I was waiting for Step 2 to come up, but the image just posted... Looking for a user manual🙃

Similarly how can I replace the image with a better edit if I choose to do so in the future?

Were you able to access that page recently, or is that an old photo? If you can still get to it, can you post the URL?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back