How to get a Interview with KCS

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

BNSF650

Guys i have been trying to get on with KCS Forever but for some reason i cant get a interview with these guys. Does anybody know what i am doing wrong.?

I interviewed for a dispatcher position with them and it took them 5 months from online resume submission to phone call. When I went in for the interview, it was weird. The corporate culture there was palpable, and not it a good way. From what I saw at the corporate office, they might be doing you a favor by not calling.

If your applying for a conductor position, or any train crew make sure your resume is of high quality and has a strong emphasis on safety. That should catch the recruiters eye. Keep trying and don't give up! Tips for becoming a train conductor.

At one of the yards where I work, KCS brings in a transfer train daily. Every once in a while they need to be piloted through a track or portion of the yard they ordinarily don't see. So I've had a chance to talk with some of them comparing work on BNSF to KCS. After talking with them I am glad I went with BNSF. It sounds like you are constantly in fear of losing your job over there. Anything that goes wrong, even if it's not your fault, could end up being blamed on you and then you're on the street. When we have accidents, rare as they are, only if you are truly negligent or malicious or dishonest do you have to worry about losing your job.

Looking at the comments, I would have to support what RCH says KCS is tough to work for, I was there 10 years, both in the agreement and non agreement sides, now employed with a different railroad. I would not recommend a career with them. I know someone on each of the Class 1s and have had the chance to talk shop with all of them, KCS is still by far the hardest one to work for mainly due to the regime in charge in upper management.

Despite all the warning i have some questions ..i interviewed with the KCSR about 5 days ago and the manager said they will contact you in 10 to 12 days so by this i assume that its not up to the manager its up to somone above hime? and if so does that mean he doesnt have a say in who gets hired ..also if i hire for kansas city yard where is my seniority good ? any ifformation on the Kansas city yard would be great thanks

the position is for conductor trainee ..i have some rr experience but UP didnt Mess with me after the hirings session so i got to try elsewhere

I guess it's what yard you are at. I have a few KCS engineer contacts and they've been with them for years.

I recently had an interview with KCS. Came clear out of the blue unexpectedly and then it dashed off into the night never to be seen or heard from again. I was supposed to know one way or the other two weeks ago but I am getting nothing but silence from Kansas City these days. I am pretty much writing them off and preparing to interview with UP for a trainmaster opportunity.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back