How do you call this thing?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Altai

Would anybody please tell me how the thing in the following picture could be called?

This mechanism is intended for placing a railcar on it (if, for example, repair is needed).
Thank you.

Altai

Thank you Bruce.
However, I believe jacks are meant for lifting cars, while these things are more like stationary supports onto which a car is placed (using a crane, for example).

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmoose

I used to take care of the tires on a private, for hire, luxury bus company here in Seattle. They pretty much had the same type of jacks to lift the busses up in the air so you could walk under them. A little un-nerving at first.:rolleyes:

Altai

OK, but how would you call this particular kind of thing shown in the pictures? As I have mentioned, these are not for lifting - there's simply no lifting mechanism, the car being lifted using a crane or something...
Is it possible to call them supports? Or racks, probably? Or what would be a better term for them, anyway? I'm no native English speaker, so it's hard for me to be sure...

Last edited by a moderator:

kenw

5th Generation Texian
Without a way to actually lift, these are used to hold it up after the jack has lifted it. We would call them jack stands normally. Most safety standards do not allow a jack or crane to hold something up while people are under it.

5thGenRR

When our Drop Pit could drop whole trucks we would call them Stands or Lifting Blocks. Now we have a different setup and no longer have them.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)