How do you become a railroad welder? And what is it like

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kyleodonnell97

Hey guys,

I'm a tech school student in Iowa, and I've currently transferred from diesel power technology at my school, to welding technology. I've transferred from diesel technology to welding because I feel like that I'm a more better welder than a mechanic.

My welding instructor told me that even though I may not pass the symbols & blueprints class (Which is a class that I'm kinda struggling with right now), that doesn't mean I can't do the internship if I want to with any welding company. He told me that I can either retake the class this coming winter, or I could just do the internship with the welding company that I plan to work for anyway. He told me that they require me to understand how to read blueprints and symbols while interviewing me for the welding job.

The number one company that I'm planning to work for is RELCO Locomotives in Albia, Iowa (Incase anyone has heard about it or not). There are still other welding companies that I'm planning to work for incase RELCO doesn't work out so well. But I'm still hoping that I could at least do the internship with them.

I thought being a welder for the railroad might be better for me that to be a diesel mechanic for them.

So I just wondering, how else can I become a railroad welder? And how much of a hard job is it?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back