Hi from South Louisiana

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

trainduck1198

Train Duck
Hello. I have had an account for this forum for a few months, but this is my first post (that I know of.) My two favorite lines are the BNSF Lafayette Subdivision (runs through my town) and the Union Pacific Livonia Subdivision. I do most of my foaming on the former. I don't go around the actual tracks very often, but I listen to railroad operations on my scanner everyday. This is really easy for the Lafayette Subdivision, as they use track warrant control. I would like to learn how to understand a centralized traffic control conversation soon, because that is the system used on the Livonia Subdivision. I really enjoy hearing the defect detectors go off for many reasons.

My other interests include collecting flashlights, writing short stories, watching the weather and working on computers.

My tools for foaming are a Radio Shack Pro 404 with an RHA-701 antenna and a Radio Shack Pro 160 with a Diamond RH-205 antenna. I don't record or photograph trains yet, but I might one day.

I was wondering if there were any other foamers from my area.

Cool, I'm near Port Arthur, TX in Groves. I've been through Raceland going to Port Fourchon to go offshore plenty of times. Now I'm working in a refinery in Orange, TX.

Welcome Aboard!

There has been some changes since I posted this.

BNSF Lafayette Subdivision is still my favorite line, but my second favorite line is now the Kansas City Southern New Orleans Subdivision. Lately I have very much fascination with that said line.

Also, my scanners I use for foaming have changed. I now use a Uniden BC75XLT (my edc scanner) and a Radio Shack Pro 97 with a homemade antenna. I will also try to use the latter for ATCS transmissions should they ever be used in my area.

My Radio Shack Pro 404 died on me and I traded the Pro 160 for my Pro 97.

BNSF Lafayette Subdivision is gradually upgrading to CTC, but KCS New Orleans Subdivision is still using Track Warrants.

It is very rare that I hear any scanner traffic on the UP Livonia Subdivision, because of the nature their radio infrastructure.

Given the heat and humidity of Louisiana summers, I don't blame you for railfanning under the air conditioner with a scanner.

ATCS is in use on both BNSF and KCS lines you mentioned but there are no servers so you will have to monitor yourself

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back