Help with identification. Old sign/marking

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CaffeineHound

Recently moved to a new house and two of these were left behind by the previous owner. He worked for the railroad for many years. The only thing that I can figure is that it is Morse Code for the letter Z. They are approx 24 inches tall and weigh close to 30 pounds (cast iron?)

Thanks for the help!!
Richard

20210213_170137.jpg

That is all that I could come up with is that it's the letter Z. All of the whistle boards that I can find either have the letter W or the Morse code for "Q". Two longs, one short, one long

You're right about the current standard whistle pattern and boards for approaching a grade crossing. Prior to things like gcor, the individual roads often had their own and distinct whistle patterns. Also, these boards may not be crossing whistle boards, but used somewhere else, such as yards or coaling sites. That they're cast iron suggests 19th or early 20th century.

As indicated by Bruce's link above, it appears to be a whistle post.

I was going to point out, that ─ ─ ●● is Z in International Morse code.
However, almost all US railroads used American Morse, in which Z is: ●●● ●

If you think morse code is becoming a lost art, try finding someone who still knows American Morse.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back