Hello from Abbotsford in the Fraser Valley

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

riksaga

Hi :)

I've lurked around here in the past few years, but now I thought it was time to join up.

I am moving my family out of the city and rural Prince George in BC seems pretty close to a perfect life balance.

I saw CN has been investing in their Prince George operation and I saw multiple postings for jobs - track maintainers and signal repair as well as other more academic positions.

I really want to work outside (I just closed up my small business of 11 years). I am physical healthy and willing to pay to train (I have a BA and a IT certificate, but I doubt they count for much).

I am wondering if CN is stable employer and if they hire/interview 40 year olds (with a shave I could pass for very late 20's).

Any comments, opinions, facts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers :))

I believe you should look at their web site and apply to a job that is interesting. The railroad has a good retirement, but as low man on the totem pole you may only work seasonally if you are working in Maintenance of Way (MoW). Same with Train, Yard and Engine service (TY&E). I work for BNSF Railway out of Everett, WA and back in 1997, I came within 6 seniority numbers of not being able to hold a job in the Seattle or Everett area and would've had to go elsewhere to maintain employment until train traffic levels rose. Working in a building as a white collar worker would probably be a bit more stable for you and having a BA and an IT certificate helps. On the road or in the yard as a trainman, seniority is the key. This is my 20th year with the railroad and 17 years as a qualified engineer. Where I work, I am the youngest engineer in seniority! I hired on at 38 years old so age should not be a factor for you. Besides, it's against the law to discriminate against someone due to age. Have fun!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back