Green and White SD60M Leading On Stampede

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

GE Power

An empty grain (X train) has just left Kanaskat eastbound with BNSF 8184 in the lead. This unit looks "BN Pristine" except for the small, discreet "BNSF" under the "BN" symbol under the cab windows. The BN logo on the nose is still there, and the headlight is where it is supposed to be. All beautiful to my eyes.

Anyone east of Lester, give her a chase.

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
Darn it. I need to check this forum more often. That was 90 minutes ago and I almost went over to Easton this morning! Sunny over there too. Would have been a great chase but it's probably long gone now.

Brian

GE Power

Do you have ATCS Monitor running, Brian? You can see eastbounds lined to or through Kanaskat when they get the warrant from Stampede Wye east.

Westbounds are usually lined through Kanaskat in plenty of time to get to Palmer Junction or some other spot down toward Auburn.

John

Sinamox

loading...please wait.
Darn it indeed. I was ready to go this morning but lost my internet connection probably just before they got a warrant and when it came back they were already through Kanaskat.

I was lucky enough to catch one last weekend and a few the week before.

Traffic ramped up a little this week starting on November 2nd with two or three eastbounds and one west each evening/overnight/earlymoring. The only daylight trains in the last few weeks (excepting work trains) have been on weekends. Best weekday bet is for a late afternoon eastbounds out of Auburn. Now this scheduling has been putting trains in daylight on the Yakima Valley sub.

Oh that BN SD60 is probably in the tunnel right now.

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
Do you have ATCS Monitor running, Brian? You can see eastbounds lined to or through Kanaskat when they get the warrant from Stampede Wye east.

Westbounds are usually lined through Kanaskat in plenty of time to get to Palmer Junction or some other spot down toward Auburn.

John
Unfortunantly no. This older computer I prefer to use will not run ATCS and all I can get on the other computer that will is the Metrolink line. I can't get the Stampede Sub on it. Believe me I wish I could! Maybe someday someone can walk me through how to get it to download correctly.

By the way, I realized when I made my "darn it" post that the RR Forums clock is one hour off, you had posted it had left Kanaskat 30 minutes prior to my seeing it, not 90 as I first thought. Anyway, I ran out the door and was off to Easton. Missed it at Easton by 5 minutes. Thank goodness for the MP 36.9 detector or I might still be at Easton waiting for it! But it was a great chase from Cle Elum to Ellensburg with lots of locations shot as they were running pretty slow.

There was also a broken rail at MP 6 that they had to pass at walking speed with MOW watching.

Thanks for the headup on this train John. This may have been one of my favorite chases of all time on Stampede, excepting missing it at Easton where the lighting was great.

Photos upcoming

Brian

GE Power

I'm glad you caught up with it, Brian. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. The Cle Elum Canyon has great spots. Are there still some leaves in color?

I wondered about your 90 minute number, but I didn't stop to figure it out. Glad you did.

John

Tuscor

Don't be Ignorant
I'm glad you caught up with it, Brian. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. The Cle Elum Canyon has great spots. Are there still some leaves in color?

I wondered about your 90 minute number, but I didn't stop to figure it out. Glad you did.

John
Thanks John. I know I was really lucky to be able to catch up to the train before Cle Elum considering the head start he had on me. Nice that I-405 is minutes away and Easton is about an hour from home. It may have been a 70 mile drive out to catch this train but the results were worth it. There was still some color in the trees but the best spots didn't have the tracks nearby or there was no place to park.

Heres a sampling of the first group of photos from Cle Elum to Bristol. I'll put some of the others on the Stampede Pass Diary thread as well.

1) First shot was from the overpass east of Cle Elum. I was worried about sun angles on an eastbound as it was afternoon but I was surprised to get good sun on the front all the way to Ellensburg.

2) Proof that Bristol Siding is indeed clear of cars.

3) Back shot of the SD60M. Have to love that jointed rail!

4) Grain cars plodding along at Bristol. No one has mentioned a train symbol. Anyone know which train it was? This looked like a soybean train with some green AGP cars mixed in.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

GE Power

Nice, Brian. Glad you caught it over there. I never tire of seeing SD60Ms in the lead, especially on Stampede.

John

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)