Goodbye to the Searchlights

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Any of these signals still up? And are there any untouched signals in the Ashland area or within 40 miles or so?

There were some still in place on the Omaha Subdivision about a week or so ago, but I haven't been out towards Ashland in a while.

Speaking of the Omaha Subdivision, they are moving the signal near Giles road a couple hundread yards east of the current signal. I am guessing this is to get it out of the way for the new viaduct.

Somebody Play Taps.

Signals at Gretna_042115.jpg

I thought about it. Aside from the fact that they are heavy, even with a full size bed on the pickup, they would stick out 9 ft. It would look pretty cool standing on the side of the house and I could use it for a fire escape from the second story window. I wish I knew somebody at the railroad

Here is a signal update and few pictures from a trip to Missouri Valley to Pacific Junction. First is Chalco NE where the old signals are down and the new one was green over red. I stopped at Mo Valley and found the "Houston Hauler"

Old Chalco_052415.jpg Old Chalco

New Chalco_052415.jpg New Chalco

Turkey Vulture_052415.jpg Winner of the ugly bird contest

UP1038_052415.jpg Houston Hauler in Missouri Valley

Then here a BNSF train on the Napier Sub. and a Nebraska City empty Coal train heading WB on the old CNW (Wimmer Wye). In the old days the CNW (Omaha Road) headed off toward the left. Oh yeah and a tiny passenger train in Council Bluffs.

BNSF7978_052415.jpg Napier Sub

UP5658_052415.jpg UP WB empty

UP6911_052415.jpg DPU under 42nd St.

UP8855_052415.jpg UP 8855 at Ave G in Council Bluffs

The BNSF side of the BNSF/UP 12th street line crossing in Council Bluffs still has searchlight signals. A BNSF signal maintainer was checking them the other day. Held up MPRCB, bringing in the two CNW engines, for a few minutes until the maintainer was done.

Jeff

Rumor has it that the BNSF line that runs thru Council Bluffs will be abandoned when all the new road changes on the south end of town are done. I suppose any bridge traffic will run on the Iowa Interstate and down to the CBEK. I saw a coal load come up from Pacific Junction last week and go into the power plant thru CBEK. It is going to be interesting to see what changes are in the works.

1. New Chalco.
2. New Chalco.
3. New Ralston.
4. New Ralston.

Attachments

• IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_5233.jpg
    IMG_5233.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_5805.jpg
    IMG_5805.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 206
Rumor has it that the BNSF line that runs thru Council Bluffs will be abandoned when all the new road changes on the south end of town are done. I suppose any bridge traffic will run on the Iowa Interstate and down to the CBEK. I saw a coal load come up from Pacific Junction last week and go into the power plant thru CBEK. It is going to be interesting to see what changes are in the works.

OTwo Sections are going to be removed. One is in front of the Lake Manawa Shopping Center and the other is near Downtown CB. Both lines are being replaced. There will be a new WYE by south end of the IAIS yard where the BNSF Baird Sub starts. The downtown line will just be moved south. There are plenty of drawings out there. Let me track them down for you.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back