Glennwood Springs CO, Glennwood Canyon

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

AustinPSD

These are shots I got on the second half of the Colorado leg of our recent road-trip, in and around Glennwood Springs CO. Glennwood Springs is west of Denver on the I-70 corridor, and forms the western gateway to Glennwood Canyon. I was able to catch a lot of the yard operations in Glennwood over a couple of day period, and a few trains east/westbound into and out of Glennwood Canyon. Seeing six to eight locomotives in a single train is pretty amazing to a flat-lander like me…

7702154886_2b9e7e0204_b.jpg
Five locomotives in Glennwood Yard by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702161588_c04a81aa63_b.jpg
UPRR 6339 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702174844_d1bcbd05a7_b.jpg
UPRR 6339 at work by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702189414_ebf780da57_b.jpg
UPRR 6286 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702219370_bee7699068_b.jpg
UPRR 6885 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702244198_8b525e5879_b.jpg
UPRR 6649 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702326082_f7c37e7348_b.jpg
Making up the mid-section at Glennwood yard by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702351114_74bb94b507_b.jpg
UPRR 5693 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702375678_c62a690e64_b.jpg
UPRR 6715 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702387408_331b8a99c1_b.jpg
UPRR 6385, UPRR 5693, UPRR 6715 by AustinPSD, on Flickr

7702393888_e5be277543_b.jpg
UPRR 5843 brings up the rear by AustinPSD, on Flickr

Tacoma Tom

Union pacific also pulls a few daily coal trains using old all steel coal cars up and down the Moffat route. A rare site in this country today where aluminum coal hoppers dominate coal trains. That is the reason the coal trains going to Denver typically have at least 7 locomotives on the trains. Quite a site when they are coming down the grade with brake smoke coming from every wheel.

The empty UP coal trains heading up the Moffat route typically have 7 or 8 locomotives as well. But usually only three are running. They are all coupled together and at the front of the train. They always put on a good show.

Abilene Ks Railfan

Union pacific also pulls a few daily coal trains using old all steel coal cars up and down the Moffat route. A rare site in this country today where aluminum coal hoppers dominate coal trains. That is the reason the coal trains going to Denver typically have at least 7 locomotives on the trains. Quite a site when they are coming down the grade with brake smoke coming from every wheel.

The empty UP coal trains heading up the Moffat route typically have 7 or 8 locomotives as well. But usually only three are running. They are all coupled together and at the front of the train. They always put on a good show.
Yes, they do run a lot of trains with the old steel cars, ones I see have old MP, UP,CNW, and some D&RGW cars., I also get several with CTRN/UP cars as seen in his photos here. Typical lashups I see are 2x1, but occasionally I will see a 2x2 consist. Empties return thru here with 2x1, 1x2, or 1x1 lashups

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)