Getting hired by NS

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

deputydogg1

Does any body have the inside scoop of how to get hired by NS? I have been to 2 different hiring events for them and have not gotten the job. Is there something that you should say or do and how high you have to score on the "Weed out test" to get the job? Thanks for any info on this.

kayakid

getting hired

If you pass the weed out test it's all the interview. If you know an employee a recomendation will help alot.

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
I applied for to0 many jobs at NS, did test online and all sorts of crap. nothing, not a reply nothing. I have a friend who has been there for 15 years now, didn't really want to pull out the "buddy get me a job" card. Well after talking to him about, he asked some questions inside the company. Most the jobs posted online are not necessarily meaning they are looking to add "new" people. They are job openings and mostly other people in the company apply for them. The only thing he could really find that they where looking for is a a small hand full of electrians for locomotives, with years on the job already.

I have tried for too long to get on the NS, now I am at the age I will be over looked any how so I gave up in September of this year.

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
Yeah, it's been my experience that most online job postings for any type of work are just for "proper procedure" to follow.

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
Yeah, it's been my experience that most online job postings for any type of work are just for "proper procedure" to follow.
You see the same things with trade unions. Openings often go to relatives and friends. Taking applications for apprentices is to cover the equal opportunity requirements.

maersksealand3329

Son of a Conrail fan
Been trying for the last 10 years to get on with NS, and every time-turned down. That is with knowing someone on the inside.

SuperTroopers3

I too am trying to get hired on by NS. Have only been trying 3 months. A friend work for one loction and told me there are hiring some people due to retirments. I have applied for 20 jobs, for 35 different positions and each time i get back an email saying I don't meet the requirements. But reading the job postings, I do. I have applied for a conductor, yard clerk, dispatcher, Accountant, and car repairer. Now, I don't have any RR experience at all. I have tried lowering my expected earnings, where I am willing to work, but still the same thing. Could it be something with my application that is putting up a red flag or is it the non-experience? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

nohcho

I actually hear a lot of horror stories about NS and how shitty they treat their employees. If all of that is true, I don't know why anyone would want to work for company like that.

RRKen

What are you people smoking? Most employers have strong nepotism rules, and even stricter regulations from government entities that regulate employment.

I am willing to bet none of you could ever substantiate such claims of employment irregularities.

nohcho

Everyone in my class (bnsf) knows somebody on the inside. There are no random people in my class they all have been referred by somebody.

HDSDcouple

The Unwanted Line
you can have all the rules, regulation and laws you want. Bottom line if no one enforces them they make no difference if they are there or not. 40,000 new laws took effect today do really think they can be inforced?

Pat

Photo Critiques Welcome
Discriminating on the basis of race, gender or creed is improper. But as long as a firm is within the law discrimination wise, it is up to the employer to decide if giving preference to relatives and friends is improper. Most large companies have policies guarding against nepotism. But the restriction is often limited to the department or facility a person works in.

When I was trying to join the local, the person I knew was pretty honest. It was family first and there enough sons and nephews to fill the spots. That’s not to say they discriminated on race, gender or religion. But of their new apprentices, x number where white men, and they had enough sons and nephews to fill those spots. Was it illegal? No. Was it improper? Depends if you were one of the sons.

Chainstretcher

I currently work for NS and I can say that they do inforce saftey and procedure rules. They will SWAT you at anytime of the day or night when SWAT teams are out, but if you do your job correctly, they will leave you alone. I have been wiht them since June of 2011 and I enjoy the work. I went thru 3 hiring sessions before I got hired and I'm 35. They look for alot of outside work experiance or Management experiance. I did however have some friends who referred me this last time. The money is great, but for the first few years you will work the Extraboard, which means you are on call 24/7 and you may only get out 5 to 10 times every 2 weeks. But so far I have made no less that $1700 for 6 days of work and as high as $2450 for 8 days. Just keep trying, and remember to log on once every 30 days and update your application.

Restricted Speed

EN09 ENGINEER IN TRAINING
Thats good money, i hope i make the same with BNSF.
Money is good with BNSF. Different areas make different amounts of money. I made almost 90K last year, but I never laid off and worked my arse off :D
I doubt there is a big difference in pay between railroads since union contracts kinda dictate the pay.

Dear RS... Can you explain the "alternate list" of the hiring process? It was originally explained to me that an "alternate" could apply for other open positions within six months of the test and interview with the only stipulation was having to interview at the specific location - the written test results would be valid for the new location. I'm on an "alternate list" and have applied to several other locations, but the HR e-mail responses claim I'm not qualified for the different locations ? ? ?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)