Frisco Forever!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Sirfoldalot

Frisco GP50 #3100, one of ten ordered by the Frisco but delivered after the Burlington Northern merger.
One of them, #3100, was delivered in Frisco orange and white but the other nine all came in BN green and black.
At Memphis on Dec 21, 1980. Kodachrome slide by Steve Forrest

1587925023176.png

Got more?

I hope so. 😛

I lived in Sikeston, MO (pronounced "Misery") from 1958-63. The Frisco's St. Louis - Memphis ran through town. I remember seeing a daily passenger train of a red E unit pulling 2-3 old heavy weight cars. The daily local freight was pulled by two black ALCo RS?'s with yellow nose striping. The occasional long road freight was pulled by black F units with a yellow side bands.

I have slides of Mandarin red & white Geeps passing through Sacramento in the early 80's in the consists of BN-WP-ATSF run through freights.

Last edited:
Have more, BB, just need to take the time to "dig" them up - and post them?

I hope you can find them. I always thought the original black & yellow paint scheme of the Frisco F units was one of the sharpest diesel schemes out there. While we are waiting, here are some Sikeston, MO, Frisco stories from the late 50's-early 60's.

The Frisco tracks ran near our church. After Sunday school, my parents let me sit in the car instead of attending the "adult" service. I always hoped the daily passenger train or a freight would pass by before the service was over

Tragedy struck one day when two young boys were playing on farm machinery that was mounted on a flatcar. The flatcar was in a string of cars sitting on a siding that was being switched by the local. The force of the engine coupling onto the cars threw one of the boys off the flatcar and on to the mainline just another train was passing. The freight hit the boy and killed him.

I vaguely remember a car-train collision at a street crossing just south of the depot. I believe the driver, a woman, survived. One day our car was stopped at that same crossing by what seemed a very long passenger which had streamlined equipment. I did not see the head of the train, so I don't know the power. I thought it was a special move as I the only passenger trains I had ever seen pass through town were the ones I described in my earlier post.

I found a jigsaw puzzle at the Oklahoma History Museum store of Frisco 1106. The photo for the puzzle was taken from Smoke Over Oklahoma which is a collection of photos of trains.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back