Friday: The Manny's Last Day

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
In early April AB-Inbev announced it was closing the Manufacturers Railway. For well over 100 years, the Manny had served the Anheuser Busch brewery south of downtown St.Louis, as well as other industries along 2nd Street. With trucks handling the outbound shipments from the brewery, the traffic on the MRS dwindled, until it was to about 10 cars or less per day. That was when Inbev decided to close the railroad earlier this year. Everyone was under the assumption that it was going to close by the end of the month in April, but it luckily held on-until now. Tomorrow, September 30th, will be its last day. It will be a great loss to not have the perfectly maintained fleet of green switchers shoving cars up the steep incline to the brewery or pulling a transfer over the MacArthur Bridge. The MRS will be missed.

Here are some of my previous forums with shots of the Manny:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35970&highlight=manufacturers
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35753&highlight=manufacturers

espee4441

I looked at all your threads on this, thank you for taking the time to get such great pictures.

The trucks on the MP15s, were they added after the fact, or built by EMD this way? Its the first time I've seen dash-2 trucks underneath a switcher.

NM_RailNut

They were built that way; the MP15's frame was lengthened by four feet to accommodate Blomberg-B or -M trucks without requiring the use of a smaller fuel tank (as was done on the SW1504s built for NdeM; in fact, the MP15's fuel tank is nearly twice as large as the SW1500's), thus allowing EMD to eliminate Flexicoil switcher trucks from its catalog. That addition of road trucks also allowed EMD to offer the MP15 series as true multipurpose machines (hence the "MP" designation) which (in theory) could handle both switching and road duties with equal ease (although the lack of room for a toilet seriously limited their usefulness in the latter role). Most RRs and industrial customers, though, simply saw MP15s as a catalog replacement for the SW1500s and purchased them for the very same role(s).

espee4441

Since I'm a big Mexican railfan, I've photographed the SW1504s quite a few times south of the border, they are some of my all-time favorite units. I knew the MP15s (AC &DC) were built with Blombergs, but this is the first I've seen them using the "M" style. For years I've watched SP MP15ACs in Eugene shoving the hump and also seeing the ex-MKT and MoPac MP15DCs working Albina yard in Portland. They are much more powerful than a SW1500, I used to ride one(SW1500) on a daily basis as a kid. The crew never had to worry about needing a toilet due to going to beans at the local DQ since it was literally trackside, I've always wanted to see the inside of a MP15 for that purpose.

Thank you for the great reply, I really appreciate it!

NM_RailNut

I've been looking at photos of these units going back to 1980, and it seems likely that they were delivered with the -M trucks. EMD had a policy of meeting customer's requests as much as possible back when the MP15 was in production, and most roads stuck with Blomberg-B trucks simply because that's what their existing EMD B-B road units had and they had plenty of spare parts for it on hand. Manufacturers Railway didn't, and Blomberg-M trucks were standard on all new B-B locomotives built after the start of Dash-2 production unless the customer specified otherwise, so that's why their MP15s had them.

stlgevo51

Steam Chaser
I never thought about the trucks on the 252. The 257, an SW1500 (which I have never shot personally), has flexicoil trucks: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=268298&nseq=11

espee4441 said:
Since I'm a big Mexican railfan, I've photographed the SW1504s quite a few times south of the border, they are some of my all-time favorite units.
Did they look something like this:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=314129
This engine has been moved around quite a bit in the St. Louis area, but it is still in its original green scheme.

NM_RailNut

That's one of them. It's mechanically a SW1500 fitted with Blomberg-B trucks; BTW, I'd forgotten that the SW1504 also had the frame lengthened by two feet to accommodate the Blomberg trucks (instead of using a smaller fuel tank as I'd incorrectly mentioned earlier).

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)