[FR] Trip to Lyon: Métro, Trams and a great station

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

I spent a few days in Lyon. Apart from a lot of sightseeing, I managed to catch some rail-related impressions.

Let's start with the Métro. The network consists of four lines. Lines A, B and D use rubber tires, linie C uses toothed rack rail for a steep section

Métro C

A few pictures from Croix Paquet station show the need for rack rail. Additionally, line C is the only line of the network that is not running completely under ground.

xxc_croix_paquet1kzujh.jpg

xxc_croix_paquet27fuzz.jpg

xxc_croix_paquet3jau90.jpg

Some artwork in Henon station

xxc_henon_art1exu7z.jpg

xxc_henon_art2nuu12.jpg

Métro A and B

Lines A and B use the same rolling stock and are controlled by a conductor. A train of Linie A

xxa_trainohujr.jpg

The tail tracks in Perrache (the terminus of line A)

xxa_wende_perrachetdupj.jpg

Some stations had pretty impressive designs: These metal pillars in Debour station give it a nice touch.

xxb_jaures1jpula.jpg

xxb_jaures24du87.jpg

How about a metro under palm trees? Terminus Vaulx-en-Velin of line A.

xxa_vaulxuwufm.jpg

Right around the cornder: The maintenance yard for lines A und B.

xxa_bhf1u3upu.jpg

xxa_bhf2q4ue1.jpg

At Gare d'Oullins (line B) a piece of the tunnel boring machine used during the extensions is kept.

xxt_ouilline_schneidrwguc3.jpg

This may look like a rusty container, but in fact its one of the entrances to Gare d'Oullins.

xxb_ouilline_entreeljuyy.jpg

Reminded me of church windows: art work Place Guichard station

xxb_guichard_vitre0iust.jpg

Métro D

Line D has no conductor, it is runnning fully automated and its running much more frequently than line A and B (headways of about 3 minutes throughout the day). The rolling stock has an orange paint job.

A train in station Vieux Lyon located next to the Lyons old town. Right around the corner is the cathedral St Etienne.

xxd_vieux1wiupv.jpg

View from the overpass down to the tracks

xxd_vieux27tuuf.jpg

A piece of art or just a thing to keep people from climbing between the cars? I have no idea - maybe both.

xxd_vaise_train_barri6cu4n.jpg

Some more pillars: This time made of stone (station Parilly)

xxd_parilly16qun8.jpg

xxd_parilly28qud2.jpg

My personal favourite: blue and orange meet in Valmy

xxd_valmy20sumu.jpg

or just blue

xxd_valmy1z4uu1.jpg

Aéroport Lyon St. Exupéry

A took a friends advice to heart that the TGV station at the airport is worth a visit. In retrospect I fully agree. It was worth the 30 minute ride on the Rhônexpress tram and the 25€ I had to pay for the return ticket.

On the train I was told that there is 4h return ticket for 17€. I had checked fares in advance on the website and booked the ticket online, because there is online discount. Unfortunately, the 4h ticket was not mentioned on the website (or I just missed it).

The station hall

xxexp_dach2ghujb.jpg

The red tram in the foreground is the Rhônexpress on its way back to downton Lyon

xxexp_dach_leonardoucunn.jpg

Regular guest at the station: Ouigo-TGVs. SNCF low cost trains linking Gare de Marne La Vallée Chessy TGV to various destinations in the south of france

xxexp_ouigoeru9p.jpg

I spent quite some time there, because I wanted to wait for the sunset to get a glimpse of the station in the dark too. As this took much longer as expected I had to buy expensive airport food, because I got pretty hungry. But the reward was worth it.

xxexp_sunsetlsumn.jpg

xxexp_nuit1bxut6.jpg

xxexp_nuit2b5uwy.jpg

xxexp_nuit3ykuxi.jpg

xxexp_nuit4whuvl.jpg

Shot of the interieur (taken more or less at the same spot) at three different times of the day.

xxexp_interieur1jnupo.jpg

xxexp_interieur3x7uqa.jpg

xxexp_interieur498u93.jpg

Look down unto the platforms

xxexo_voisgeucl.jpg

Tram

Since the year 2000 trams are running on Lyons streets again. The fleet consists of Citadis 302 by Alstom. I did not like the design of the trains that much.

xxt_citadis77yvu.jpg

xxt_interieurg3uxc.jpg

My favourite location for tram pictures: The bridge in front of the Musée des Confluence

xxt_pont_confluence1uuu8l.jpg

xxt_pont_confluence2arusa.jpg

xxt_pont_confluence3d3uqw.jpg

xxt_pont_confluence4qau5z.jpg

I liked the museums architecture: Its quite different from your usual museum complex

xxmusee_confluence0ouq5.jpg

xxt_confluence1vuuq5.jpg

Tram on the wall of Perrache station

xxperrache_imagejhuou.jpg

Trams in the green

xxt_3ybu52.jpg

xxt_confluence2r6ueu.jpg

All trams but one look alike (I have no clue why this one has a special look. As I did not catch it until the last day of my trip there was no time to check it out some more).

xxt_silberpfeilhuus4.jpg

Mixed stuff

Lyons public transportation network consist of several trolleybus lines and two funicular lines.

xxobusk4ucc.jpg

Train of funicular F1 in station Fourvière

xxf2qpuvy.jpg

We are going down

xxf2_decente4du46.jpg

The Fourviere offers a great view over the city: on the left in black the opera house, in the middle in red the Crédit Lyonais tower and on the right the cathedral

xxfourviere_vue2gubc.jpg

A view up the Fourviere: The basilica Notre-Dame de Fourvière and Tour Métallique de Fourvière

xxfourviere_vue_updgufn.jpg

More or less by accident I stumpled upon these TER tram-trains in St. Paul station. Seems to be the same rolling stock that is used in Nantes

xxter_st_paule9u7l.jpg

To sum the trip up some more architecture: The opera house and the headquarters of TV station Euronews

xxopera7cug4.jpg

xxeuronewsxsunt.jpg

Thats it for today folks. I hope you liked the report. Looking forward to your feedback.

This was my first trip to Lyon but definitely not my last. The city has a great vibe that I liked from the minute when I stepped off my TGV train in Part Dieu station.

À bientôt
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back