[FR] Tram+VAL Tour de France 6: Toulouse+Besancon

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

this is the final installment of my Tour de France. The last stops of my trip where Toulouse and Besancon.

Toulouse

Toulouse has two Métro and two tram line. The metro is of type VAL and uses rubber tires

Line A on the bridge across the motorway near terminus "Balma-Gramont"

m_ponttfs16.jpg

m_pont23ase9.jpg

As "Balma-Gramont" station is underground, a ramp connects it with the bridge

m_pont3lssix.jpg

m_pont48zspf.jpg

I happen to catch two types of rolling stock.

m_pont58zsj1.jpg

m_pont60gshm.jpg

Three minute headways between the trains made my job pretty easy. No long waits between trains. The announcements in the metro were in two languages: Frensh and Occitan. Several signs showed street names in both languages too.

signet4sug.jpg

A must with VAL trains: Platform doors.

m_stationsjsx8.jpg

m_station36ws0b.jpg

There were different version of interieur design. Here is one them. As it was almost impossible to catch an empty train, I did not manage to take a picture of the other designs.

m_int9jsxq.jpg

"Cab" view. Unfortunately, we did not pass another train.

m_frontx8saw.jpg

Stickers on the platform doors reminded the riders to behave. My favourite: "Volume is good for you hair, for public transportation: no so much"

m_poliy1slj.jpg

Some stations had artwork. An installation in station "Palais de Justice"

m_pdjonskg.jpg

This station offers a transfer to the tram. Both tram line end here. A tram is waiting for its departure time

t_pdjlbsua.jpg

t_pdj3qdscu.jpg

Tail tracks covered with green

t_pdj42ush8.jpg

t_pdj5evsfj.jpg

Nightfall at the "Palais de Justice"

t_pdj68vsbi.jpg

Looking for the next tram stop or metro station? These sign will guide you

signe_mtaosbo.jpg

Tram stop design.

t_fer2a3s4o.jpg

t_fer19srr.jpg

Tram on the "Pont St Michel" bridge approaching its next stop "Cheval de Fer"

t_pont8lxjt.jpg

The tram line that runs to the airport passes over the motorway using this nice looking, modern bridge.

t_pont_aeroysl2v.jpg

t_pont_aero2rgzyo.jpg

The airport is located in the suburb town Blagnac. The industrial park seem to consist mostly of aircraft industry. A lot of buildings had the Airbus logo. Even the partnership with a German town is "advertised" with a tribute to aeronautics.

wingikbum.jpg

As last tram picture: A look inside.

t_ing0hsth.jpg

Apart from tram and metro watching, I did some sightseeing two. Looks like two churches, but it is one building: The Cathedral St Etienne.

cath3essz.jpg

An example of the brownstone architecture that dominates Toulouse: The "Halles aux Grains"

halles_aux_grainv9siu.jpg

The "Pont Neuf" spans the Garonne river.

fleuve2ymssy.jpg

For relaxion, take a few minutes and enjoy the green in the "Grand Rond" garden.

ront_point6vspm.jpg

ront_point23essw.jpg

Or do you prefer a stroll along water: Try the "Canal du Midi".

midi2hssns.jpg

midimgsii.jpg

As I am a computer scientist who had to deal with character encoding issues in the past, this made me smile.

encoding5hsy9.jpg

That's it about Toulouse. Now on to the final leg of the trip: Besancon.

Besancon

My brother suggested a visit to Besancon, because he had go there on business and liked the city. So I trusted his judgement (and he was right, it is a nice place). This stop over had an additional advantage: I could split me journey home into two segments. Instead of ten hours on the train, first 6 hours to Besancon and the next day four hours home.

My TGV leaves the TGV station "Besancon-Franche Comté TGV" (located on the LGV Rhin-Rhône high speed line)

gare_tgvagsi5.jpg

Artwork in the station

gare_artqkswj.jpg

Unlike most TGV stations located outside of cities, this one has a rail connection to the city. TER shuttles run to Besancons Viotte station

viotte9rska.jpg

Besancon has two tram lines. The railway station is served by one of these two lines. Buses and tram are painted in turquoise colour. Tram at Gare Viotte

t_viottehhs8t.jpg

Both lines at "Hauts du Chazal". In the background the depot.

t_depot1qs94.jpg

Once again, a tram in a roundabount (near stop "Allende")

t_allendexssci.jpg

Nice mix of blue and green (near "Allende" too)

t_allende2gcs41.jpg

A look inside. In contrast to most modern trams in France, these are not build by Alstom but by Spanish company CAF

t_int00sz9.jpg

Tram at stop "Canot". The building in the background is the "Cite Universitaire"

t_citebos7s.jpg

t_cite2gusdo.jpg

The river "Doubs" surrounds most of the city centre. On the hill above the city is a Citadelle.

citadellekvsum.jpg

citadelle331sjm.jpg

A wooden dragon on guard duty in front of the Citadelle

dragonyfs6x.jpg

A look unto the city. On the right the tower of Cathedral St Jean

villelks5j.jpg

I want to close the series with another church window: There must not always people et al be shown. A pattern could be just as nice (at least that's my take).

cath_vitrehmsz6.jpg

This wraps up two weeks on the road (or better on the rails ;-)). It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed every minute of the trip. A lot of sightseeing, tram and metro riding in addition to a lot of fine dining and wine made for a great holiday. Apart from a bit of rain in Tours and Besancon, I managed to stay ahead of any bad weather. Mostly, it was sunny with about 30°C .

I hope you enjoyed my little trip best of.

Take care.
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back