[FR] Tram and more in the South of France IV: Montpellier+Nîmes+Arles

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

the final installment of my trip report features Montpellier, Nîmes und Arles.

Gare St Roch

The platforms of Gare St Roch were dark and not vrey welcoming. The station building above proved to be a bright and ice to look at.
gare1rupf9.jpg

gare22xq0y.jpg

Tram de Montpellier

The tram network consists of 4 lines, with very colourful rolling stock. As all lines pass by the station, there is quite an amount of tracks and switches in the area to connect the tram line coming from four different directions
t_gareiprxi.jpg

t_gare2pdq5b.jpg

Line 3 and 4 (gold) meet at the station
t_gold_bunt92ryo.jpg

A tam of line 4 has just left "Corum" station
t_gold_kurvebkoa2.jpg

Same spot, a few minutes later: Line 1 passes by.
t_blau_kurveazo7y.jpg

My favourite spot: The approach of line 2 to "Corum". A curve of almost 180° and a colourful tram - Could it get any better?
t_bunt_kurve8ypsq.jpg

The signs at the stop pay witness to the paint jobs of the rolling stock. Signs for all three lines that call at "Corum"
t_sign1hfqby.jpg

t_sign3uwr90.jpg

t_sign200rzw.jpg

Short break for a tram of line 4 in the tail tracks near "Place Albert 1er" station
t_gold_endemnotc.jpg

Tram 1 heading to "Albert 1er"
t_blau_kurve2oto45.jpg

A pity, that I could catch "Blackbeauty" only once
t_blackq4r49.jpg

Between "Corum" and "Comédie" there is a shot tunnel section. A tram of linie 2 emerging from the tunnel
t_bunt_rampeo4pi8.jpg

Line 2 between "St Roch" station and "Comédie"
t_bunt_comediehkpu6.jpg

Nice mix of dark tones and color: Trams of linie 3
r_black18rplg.jpg

A network expansion is underway. Works are being done near the botanical garden
t_ext23kpd8.jpg

t_ext17ep5u.jpg

Even in a set of colourful trams, there is one thats sticks out: A tram with advertising for the "Métropole French Tech" project
t_exot24q5e.jpg

Between the station and "Antigone" the tracks embedded in neither concrete nor gras, but in wood. Biker liked to spped down this ramp
t_blau_antugru3.jpg

Some kids on their BMX bikes just jumped over the "car stop" at the end of the ramp
t_autostop9vo4q.jpg

I liked the mix of tram and catenary
t_blau_oleitlno3g.jpg

T3 meets TER
t_kreuzungkrofi.jpg

Sightseeing

The architecture in the Antigone quarter took some time getting used to
r_antigone1ikrx0.jpg

In front of the administration-building of the Region a festival of extreme-sports took place. It included water-skiing
r_ski1xdpq9.jpg

Just one word: Wow. Rose in St. Pierre cathedral
r_rosette5rq3s.jpg

Monty Python once again: And what have the Romans ever given us? The aqueduct. "Aqueduc Saint Clement" (it was not build by the Romans, it dates back to the 18th century) and "Chateau d'eau"
r_aqueh4r6x.jpg

r_tour97qvx.jpg

Nîmes und Arles

If you like following Roman history and architecture, I can recommend a trip to Nîmes and Arles. I went there by Intercité train
teozrfp30.jpg

Below the tracks of Nîmes station
ni_garepjoh8.jpg

In both towns, there are hugh Roman arenas that are well preserved. Until this day they are used for events. In contrast to the colloseum in Rome, you can wander around freely and climb up and down the tiers. Arena in Nîmes
ni_arena13rj4.jpg

ni_arena2iyohz.jpg

Modern architecture just outside the arena
ni_moderngyprk.jpg

The "Maison Carré" is an old temple. Nowadays, a film about the history of Nîmes is shown there
ni_maisonmarbx.jpg

View from "Tour Magne" unto Nîmes. The arena is not that prominent. It is located at the end of the green band that starts at the white building (this is a museum designed by Norman Foster)
ni_vuefsopy.jpg

In Arles station, you cannot get unto the center platform. If need be, the door will be opened 10min prior to departure
ar_mittelbahnsteig0ip8p.jpg

While I wait for my delayed Intercité back to Marseille: A snapshot of a TER train in the eveninng dusk.
ar_ter3dp8d.jpg

Here ends the last report of my trip to southern France. I can highly recommend the area. There is a lot to see and the weather is nice too :).

Adieu
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back