[FR] Tram and more in the South of France II: Aubagne+Avignon

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

for part two I have compiled mixed pictures from trips to Aubagne and Avignon.

Tram d'Aubagne

Depending on which train you take, Aubagne is 15-25min train ride away from Marseille. Since September 2014 a tram running there again. The network consists of one line. A ride end to end takes about 10min, trams are running with 10min headways. Like riding the busses in Aubagne, riding the tram is free of charge.
I stumpled upon the Tram d'Aubagne by accident, when I was browsing http://carto.metro.free.fr/. This page is really helpful, if you want to plan tram or métro sightseeing in France (and some other countries in Europe and abroad).

The trains are pretty colourful. Tram at terminus Aubagne station
t_au_garebar6c.jpg

On the inside, red is the dominating colour
t_au_interieur7dqv7.jpg

Tram approaching Aubagne station
t_au_gare21sojq.jpg

The terminus on the other end of the line is "Le Charrel"
t_au_charrelflrir.jpg

Station design
t_au_arretgtqgt.jpg

More trams taking a sun bath in the maintenance yard next to "Piscine" station
t_au_bhof5wpi5.jpg

One half of the line is running on rails in a concrete bed. The other half, runs over red gravel
t_au_schotterpiste46mrmw.jpg

t_au_schotterpiste3pcol8.jpg

t_au_schotterpiste2laqpl.jpg

t_au_schotterpisteihr5f.jpg

Trams passing each other in front of the church
t_au_tram_egliseubpn4.jpg

My take on the Augabne tram: small, but quite exquist. I am curious how it will turn out in the future. Further expansions of the network were planned, but have been shelved after the local elections.

Avignon TGV

I used the TGV to make the half-hour trip to Avignon TGV station. From there, you can hop on a TER train, which takes you to Avignon Centre in less than 10min.

The two sides of the station have different designs
av_tgv_ext2vwov0.jpg

av_tgv_ext1qpryx.jpg

A northbound TGV is approaching
av_tgv_approchertriv.jpg

Impressions from station hall
av_tgv_int1ujrst.jpg

av_tgv_int27fquz.jpg

av_tgv_int3rro0u.jpg

av_tgv_int46pry8.jpg

The platform for northbound trains
av_tgv_quaio4qci.jpg

View from the southbound platform to the station hall building.
av_aa_doisj7uyg.jpg

Nice gimick: Were is my train at the moment
av_tgv_mon_traint8pfw.jpg

A different type of intermediate stop ;-).
av_tgv_monitor1aq6z.jpg

Train 9725 is mine: An AVE. A look into a 2nd class coach
av_tgv_ave_2eouqgv.jpg

A few days before, I used the AVEs 1st class. The leather seats were a lot classier than the ones in 2nd class.
av_tgv_ave2ovq3u.jpg

Sunset over the high speed rail line
av_tgv_couche_soleila1ot5.jpg

av_tgv_orangeyvouo.jpg

Avignon Sightseeing

Avignon offers a lot of sights to see. First among them: The papal palace.
av_palais_papebiqo4.jpg

And of course: "the bridge" (You may start singing now ;-)).
av_le_pontkyr24.jpg

Great peace of architecture: The opera house.
av_operae6pwd.jpg

Massive and impossible to overlook: the surrounding wall.
av_aa_mur7juke.jpg

Really worth the 20min walk: The gardens of "Abbaye Saint André" in neighbouring "Villeneuve-lès-Avignon". They offer a great view of Avignons "Rocher des Doms" with the papal palace and the cathedral (and around the town square there were several nice bistros with reasonable prices, where I enjoyed my lunch).
av_vue_palaisfxrnd.jpg

I would like such a little house on the hill (but I guess its a bit above my paygrade)
av_maisonlpqhq.jpg

These barrels made me smile.
av_tonnenl7r6a.jpg

Thats it for part 2. I hope you liked this little picture compilation.

Cheers
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back