[FR] Paris: VAL, Tram, Métro and Church windows (with pics)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

I spent a few days in Paris last autumn and again this month. A little compilation of pictures taken at various location in the greater Paris region.

CDGVAL

The CGLVAL connects the terminals and parking lots at Charles de Gaulle airport. Impression from the section between terminal 1 and parking PR. It is of type VAL.

cdg1edbx9.jpg

cdg4r4axt.jpg

cdg5alxr2.jpg

The station at terminal 1

cdg2q7x5s.jpg

cdg32xzyc.jpg

A peak inside terminal 1: Escalators are running in these tubes

cdgx24b1s.jpg

A train of RER B with the STIF paint job at station CDG1

rer_stif4tzw8.jpg

T4

On the way back downtown I left the RER at Aulnay-sous-Bois Station and changed to the T4. A tram-train crossing the "Canal de l'Ourcq" near "Freinville-Sevran" station

t4_2zkjp8.jpg

t4_1qakc7.jpg

A view along the canal

t4_pont9vkfz.jpg

T8

The tram T8 starts in Saint Denis. It was two branches. I opted for the shorter one heading to "Villetaneuse-Université" entschieden. This tram is on approach to its terminus "Villetaneuse"

t8_1evxzu.jpg

A tram leaving for St Denis

t8_3dzzr6.jpg

A single track line connects "Villetaneuse" to the depot

t8_22sbyi.jpg

Worth a visit: The basilica in von St. Denis

denis1snsws.jpg

It has some great windows. As this church is the burial ground for French monarchs there a quite a number of windows showing kings

denis2pzs2i.jpg

The windows behind the altar.

denis32ksuy.jpg

A have a weak spot for rosette windows

denis4aas3p.jpg

T6

Now a jump down south. Terminus "Châtillon Montrouge" of Métro 13 is the starting point of tramway T6: This line rubber-tired tramway (or guided bus) of type Translohr.

t6_5qljqp.jpg

My point of view: If they had build a "real" tram they could have put in some lawn track an create a nice green space, instead of this concrete band

t6_2ovj65.jpg

t6_3t5jyo.jpg

t6_4lbj1b.jpg

ORLYVAL

The ORLYVAL connects the terminals at Orly airport. Additionally, it offer a link to station "Antony" of RER B. A train in front of terminal Sud

orly1przvm.jpg

The section between the terminal

orly2sxb7m.jpg

orly4kzlnh.jpg

A view from inside a train. It will depart for terminal Ouest in a few minutes. Nice fact: At terminal Sud there are two stop: One for leaving the train and another one for boarding.

orly6rgan7.jpg

Approach to terminal Ouest. The tracks on the right run to Antony-RER-station

orly5btxd9.jpg

The ORLYVAL "in the wild" near "Rungis La Fraternelle" station of RER C

orly9ijapy.jpg

orly8meymc.jpg

Use of ORLYVAL is free of charge between the terminal. A trip to Antony is 9,30€, the fare for downtown Paris is 12€.

T7

A cheaper was to get to Orly: Use the T7. The line starts at terminus "Villejuive" of Métro 7. The line has a rural charm between the stops "Hélène Boucher" and "La Fraternelle".

t7_2o2jfa.jpg

t7_1mvkod.jpg

t7_337kn5.jpg

Camera to the metal ;-)

t7_4aijy1.jpg

Métro

Some mixed Métro pictures. Métro 1 surrounded by the high rises at La Défense

m1_la_def2yojtq.jpg

La Défense as seen from within the Métro.

m1_la_defpdkzf.jpg

Colourful lighting at "Nation" station

m1_lumiere1mjsb.jpg

The M6 from above: A view from Tour Montparnasse

tm_m6_2gcsx6.jpg

The M2 above gournd (if I remember correctly at "Stalingrad" station)

m2xbkp4.jpg

As part of the "Journée du Patrimoine" (heritage days) the RATP offered behind the scene tours. I managed to grab a spot in the tour of the "métro wash" facility of M7 (most tours did not allow taking pictures, but this one did).

laver2wwsaw.jpg

laver3ucsyi.jpg

Cab ride through the "métro wash". Before the ride we got a detailed explanation of the cab.

laver4bdsdj.jpg

The "Journée du Patrimoine" is worth a visit (at least if you speak French ;-)). RATP and SNCF usually prepare some great tours. RATP requires online registration for the event. When the booking is open, it usually take less than 10 minutes to fill up all available spots. Last years program can be found at http://ratp.fr/journeesdupatrimoine/

Railway

As my RER had to stop at a red signal in front of Le Landy depot, I managed to take this picture of a Eurostar E320

e320btblv.jpg

The sound is amazing: A diesel engine leaves Gare de l'Est pulling the Intercité to Belfort

dieselojzqt.jpg

The new ICE class 407 looks a bit sad.

ice85aq3.jpg

Colourful seats in a Transilien to Meaux

meaux_tery4squ.jpg

Mixed Impressions

Quite an eye-catcher: The "Fondation Louis Vitton". A new museum at the outskirts of Bois de Boulogne

vittonu5sxq.jpg

Nice wordplay witht the Frensh word "Batiment" (=building) of construction firm in Meaux

meaux_batiq4shd.jpg

Meaux Cathedral

meaux_cath2fjs44.jpg

The windows in the chapel of Mary show scenes from Marys life

meaux_cath1aisir.jpg

Modern church can be worth a visit too. Two examples from greater Paris

Créteil

Hidden between the high rises: The cathedral in Créteil (reachable with Métro 8, stop "Créteil - Université"). The old church from the 1960s was replaced by this building. As part of "Journée du Patrimoine" is was open a few days before its consecration. Members of the parish gave tours of the church. An elderly gentleman gave me a tour. He was proud that a German tourist dropped by to visit his church.

creteil385xd8.jpg

View from the gallery onto to altar. There is some glass in the roof which offers natural lighting

creteil1lxxwc.jpg

The gallery and the organ

creteil2bcxxw.jpg

This church is worth the relatively long metro ride.

Évry

A bit further out, but reachable by train (RER D, "Évry - Courcouronnes" station): The cathedral of Évry

evry398lhu.jpg

Inside the round cube

evry1voxt5.jpg

evry2gbzmc.jpg

This wraps up my little Paris compilation. Looking forward to your feedback.

À bientôt
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back