Found old caboose

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

DieselGG

Hi I am not sure I am in the right place but while tearing down an old barn on my property, the crew uncovered an 1800 wooden caboose. It had been used for a stable at some point and is in pretty poor condition. I told them to not tear it down until I do my research. The one end and roof is in recognizable condition with both metal entry handles still attached. The other end was cut open. There appears to be some type of undercarriage under the floor. My question is is this something I should preserve or have one hell of a camp fire. Thanks for any help.
F98E8799-F079-43C0-A584-863AD3487A14.jpeg
3EEBB3E2-D0C0-47E5-96B2-4478A23A35FD.jpeg
8C687A38-956C-4C0C-937F-21A57917BB04.jpeg

That looks like it's in really, really bad shape. I would probably contact your local historical society, or railroad museum to see if they would like to do anything with it. What city and state are you near/in?

Welcome aboard.
Is there a metal builders plate which might identify the builder or railroad? Otherwise, be sure to invite members to the campfire and remind them to bring their own ingredients for s'mores.

That looks like it's in really, really bad shape. I would probably contact your local historical society, or railroad museum to see if they would like to do anything with it. What city and state are you near/in?
I am about 60 miles south of Fort Worth,TX

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back