Ffestiniog Railway at Blaenau, Wales UK

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Steven J Brown

I was introduced to this cartoonie looking critter and came away completely impressed! This is Ffestiniog Railway 2' gauge Double Fairlie articulated 0-4-4-0 David Lloyd George (built 1992 at Boston Lodge). I only rode because of a scheduling mistake that resulted from my own miscalculation.

I had heading into Wales specifically to see the South African baby Bayer Garratts that operate on the Welsh Highlands Railway. I showed up at the Welsh Highlands depot in Caernarfon ready to ride. I walked in and asked when the train would show up and was told there wasn't going to be one. They didn't run on Mondays. Calendars in the UK start on Monday, not Sunday like those that I'm accustomed. (Note: I did know this.) I had glanced at their operating calendar the day before while I was visiting the Severn Valley Railway, saw the color coding and assumed Monday was actually Sunday. Opps.

This conversation occurred at approximately 9:20 am. I knew that the cartoonie Ffestiniog train departed from Porthmadog at 10. The depot lady though I could probably make it so I drove as quickly as I could, making it to the Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland depot with five minutes to spare. I was able to buy a ticket and make it on the train.

I have been describing the Double Farlie in unflattering terms because that was my impression, my only experience being looking at some pictures. Now I'm riding as the little contraption has twelve cars on a steep mountain grade in a torrential downpour. She is completely on her knees, with sound to rival any big steamer! She is slipping and barking trying to keep the train moving on the wet rail. There were so many times I thought she would stall but she kept the train moving. The ride will always be etched in memory. I am now a big fan! - May 15, 2017.

1589640112980.png

Ffestiniog Railway 2' gauge Double Fairlie articulated 0-4-4-0 David Lloyd George (built 1992 at Boston Lodge) is slipping and barking trying to keep the train moving on the wet rail on the Ffestiniog Railway in Wales United Kingdom - May 15, 2017. — at Ffestiniog Railway.

1589640146990.png

Ffestiniog Railway 2' gauge Double Fairlie articulated 0-4-4-0 David Lloyd George (built 1992 at Boston Lodge) is taking water on the Ffestiniog Railway at Blaenau, Wales UK - May 15, 2017. — in Blaenau-Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, United Kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That is an impresswive looking little loco. And it was built in 1992? Too bad you didn't get a video of what must have been a real sound fest.

It is amazing what kind of noise some of smaller engines make. I may make it to that part of the world someday, but not soon, so thanks for the pictures.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your memories! :)

You can hear the Double Fairlie sound on my videos from 2011 starting at minute 52 here (and learn some Welsh ;) ):

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back