Eritrea, October 2018 (1 v.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the video of the trip (please set to 4K-quality):

This year, I decided to once more do a farrail.de tour. Eritrea has been of interest to me for a while, but only now they have received some coal to be able to host photo charters again after a break of a few years.

We saw five steam locomotives in action, mostly Mallets from the Italian colonial past:
R.440.008, R.442.54 - 56 and shunter R.202.008

Keep in mind that Eritrea is one of the poorest countries in the world and cut off from supplies, so the state of the rolling stock presents itself accordingly. Also, due to water damage, the Asmara - Massawa line was disrupted at several points. We could not even reach Embatkalla.
However, this is more than compensated for by the friendliness of the people and probably the most spectacular mountain line in Africa. Every day provided amazing experiences and photo opportunities.

I travelled there from Vienna by Emirates Airbus A380 to Dubai and on with flydubai, as featured in the video.

Video-screenshot-preview:
eritreapr.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back