Eritrea 2018 - 15: Mallet Double Header Finale (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Eritrea 2018 - 14: Final Steam Morning (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/eritrea-2018-14-final-steam-morning-50-p.14173

Video for this series:

Map of the mountain section:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eritrean_Railway#/media/File:Eritrean_Railway_Map_of_March,_1998.svg

October 27 2018

Our double header consisting of Mallets 440.008 and 442.56 steamed out of tunnel 23 Saturday afternoon.
eri1501.jpg

The group subsequently changed to the other valley side.
eri1502.jpg

eri1503.jpg

Out of tunnel 24, the train negotiated the curve I already had captured in the evening mist on the first full photo day. Of course once more with the nicest kids in the area.
eri1504.jpg

We continued to the entrance of long tunnel 27.
eri1505.jpg

eri1506.jpg

I left a bag full of stationery here, so someone lucky may find it.
eri1507.jpg

Next, a highlight of the trip: several double header run-pasts through Devil's Gate.
eri1508.jpg

eri1509.jpg

eri1510.jpg

Yellow canisters everywhere.
eri1511.jpg

eri1512.jpg

These "hats" are traditional covers for storage vessels.
eri1513.jpg

An ant trail led straight across the terrace in front of the house. The two Mallets thundered past again soon, things went more smoothly with twice (or rather four times) the power.
eri1514.jpg

eri1515.jpg

eri1516.jpg

Rolling back did not look bad as well.
eri1517.jpg

eri1518.jpg

eri1519.jpg

Perfect spotlight.
eri1520.jpg

A double Mallet panoramic view of Devil's Gate as good-bye.
eri1521.jpg

Next stop: 4-arch viaduct. News spread at a running pace.
eri1522.jpg

The first run-past.
eri1523.jpg

A bit further downhill for the second one.
eri1524.jpg

That way a dynamic panorama of the silhouette could be captured.
eri1525.jpg

Inside the passenger carriage with the train manager before the group boarded. The image is real, only a double exposure for the view outside to the left.
eri1526.jpg

The children living in the mountainside villages turned out to be "vertically mobile". The winner of my bag - perhaps he already has opened his own unofficial stationery shop in the meantime.
eri1527.jpg

Notice the F.S. inscription.
eri1528.jpg

We got off at the horseshoe curve where we had encountered the wedding party on the first afternoon of the trip. This time I climbed up the hill.
eri1529.jpg

It paid off...
eri1530.jpg

In the background to the right: the bridge on the lowest level towards Arbaroba where we had taken photos Friday morning.
eri1531.jpg

The whole curve.
eri1532.jpg

More mist came in.
eri1533.jpg

Leading to this gigantic spotlight mood.
eri1534.jpg

eri1535.jpg

It was time to climb down again.
eri1536.jpg

Next spot: mountain range viewpoint.
eri1537.jpg

Through the forest, already with longer time exposure,...
eri1538.jpg

... as I had planned a series of panning shots.
eri1539.jpg

eri1540.jpg

Last stop at the kilometre 115 loop above Asmara.
eri1541.jpg

Time for a shadow-selfie as the train rolled back.
eri1542.jpg

Final run-past below the antennas.
eri1543.jpg

eri1544.jpg

Downhill past the pond.
eri1545.jpg

Through the station yard gate.
eri1546.jpg

Where the local/global junior football team was waiting.
eri1547.jpg

Sunset with campanile.
eri1548.jpg

Arrival of the train.
eri1549.jpg

Next time, we say good-bye and start the journey home.
eri1550.jpg

I always enjoy your photo journeys Roni. Your photography and your willingness to literally walk up mountains to get great images is amazing. On a larger scale, I am also amazed at the lengths man will go to build railroads over and through mountains. This railroad in Eritrea with its beautiful stonework arch bridges and tunnels is, to use the word one more time, AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing. The possibility of me seeing Eritrea first hand is practically nil.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back