Don't trust your life to a mechanical signal

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Reflexes and luck were both factors. If anybody doesn't know, a railroad crossing is considered to be a stop sign, even if the signals and gates aren't working. Nobody does this, I know I don't, though I do glance both ways as I approach.

Reflexes and luck were both factors. If anybody doesn't know, a railroad crossing is considered to be a stop sign, even if the signals and gates aren't working. Nobody does this, I know I don't, though I do glance both ways as I approach.

You should probably consult the state DOT you live in for the proper meaning. Generally, the railroad crossbuck sign equals a yield sign. If flashing red lights are operating it equals a stop sign. Stop and you may proceed if safe to do so. The lowered gate is absolute. Many crossings in Iowa without lights/gates have actual yield or stop signs added to the crossbucks. Which additional sign used depends on the which jurisdiction, usually county, the crossing is in. Most people ignore them just the same.

You should probably consult the state DOT you live in for the proper meaning. Generally, the railroad crossbuck sign equals a yield sign. If flashing red lights are operating it equals a stop sign. Stop and you may proceed if safe to do so. The lowered gate is absolute. Many crossings in Iowa without lights/gates have actual yield or stop signs added to the crossbucks. Which additional sign used depends on the which jurisdiction, usually county, the crossing is in. Most people ignore them just the same.

The MUTCD requires that passive crossings have either a yield or stop sign on the mast with the crossbuck. It also requires a reflective strip on the front of the mast.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back