Did the dispatcher say "Amtrak going thru Dunlap"?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CGW101c

CGW Fan
By Golly he did. I was just out on a drive, on Sunday, to follow the BNSF Bayard Line and run up along the CN/IC north of Denison IA. I found the CN at Denison and started to chase it west when UP Dispatcher 19 asked a stack train to ease up a bit as Amtrak was coming thru Dunlap. I headed west where I met the Amtrak Detour. Made a U-Turn and gave chase. Took a couple of pacing pics and then just in the nick of time another westbound stacker cleared the view for a threesome with UP AMTK and the CN westbound. And I still made it to Wall Lake in time to see an eastbound CN Train. More on that after midnight when I get home from work.

AMTDetour062715.jpg

AMTUPCN_062715.jpg

Guess I should have called you. I saw Amtrak at 2 pm going over I 29 near 9th ave. I was on my way to Desoto bend for some Kayak time. I was going to wait at Loveland, but there was another person in the car that was anxious to get to the lake and I didn't know if it would have been 30 min or 60. I also read over on trainorders later that Sunday's #5 was at Chalco and Saturday's #5 was near Hastings. I'M glad somebody got a picture. As always, I'm happy to see you photos.

Z

Wait, you saw CN? Wow! Hope you bought a lottery ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2 lottery tickets since I saw 2 CN trains. That is quite a scenic piece of railroad around Wall Lake. Did you know there is bike trail on the, I think, old MILW branch through Wall Lake? Or was it CNW that went to Ida Grove? I tried chasing Amtrak but after he passed the Stack train he notched er up to about 65 on the way into Denison. I figured by the time I hit the 23 red lights in Denison I would have had to drive to Boone to get close.

Yes, I believe that is correct. On the way back home I met 7 eastbounds while driving the 40 or so miles between Denison and Missouri Valley. I pulled off to photo a westbound in the evening sun and then realized I did not have the correct tripod mount for the tripod I brought along. I also lined up a lovely shot of an eastbound and pushed the shutter button. Oops forgot to turn the camera on. You would think after 50 years of doing this I would remember. Wait, remember what?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back