DGNO Unit Rock Train Locomotives. SP 9486, Royse City, Texas. 2-8-2011.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

MarkJL

Railfan Railroader
DGNO, is that line going to be upgraded with new ties? I saw a post on here where this is suppose to happen from Royse City all the way north. How often do the Rock Trains run to Royse City? Also I sent you an email through the railroad forums option.

DGNO

Mark J L have not heard of a major upgrade on that track noticed the work on some bridges and patching up some bad places. The Lattimore rock train going to Royse City I believe runs one time a week the crew also goes to the Lattimore plant in Melissa Tx. How long does it take ya'll to go from Sulpher Springs to Greenville? It takes us 3 to 3 1/2 hrs from Garland to Greenville @ 10 mph and some 5 mph. Going through Dart construction in Garland and Rowlett slows thing down more.

MarkJL

Railfan Railroader
DGNO, mile post 517 is close to the Sulphur Springs Depot and milepost 552 is by the diamonds at Greenville where we cross the DGNO tracks. 35 miles by rail. We also run at 10mph across the whole railroad. If you would run straight through from Sulphur Springs to Greenville it would take almost 4 hours, however most times we stop and pick up rubbermaid cars at Commerce where they are stored till needed. Add another hour if we need to pick up rubbermaid cars. Sulphur Springs is about the mid point of the Blacklands Railroad, we also go east from Sulphur Springs to Mount Pleasant to interchange with the Union Pacific. That is around 37 or 38 miles to the east by rail. Lately I have been working the west end of the railroad from Sulphur Springs to Greenville. Yesterday I worked the other line we have that runs from Overton to Henderson, Texas. This line is about 15 miles long and is one of the most hilliest and curvy pieces railroad I have ever seen. I was the engineer on this train for the day. We dead head by company truck about 90 miles to Overton or Henderson where the train is located at. For now we move 20 to 25 car cuts of Frac Sand brought in by UP in gondolas twice a week. Also more business is in the works for this line in the form of loads of rock brought in by rail. West Fraser Lumber company is another on line customer that ships out loaded center beam lumber cars. I enjoyed working yesterday running HOB GP 7 Number 70 pulling 21 cars, 1 loaded lumber car and 20 mty sand cars.
Click on the following link to view some HOB Line photos http://www.blacklandsrailroad.com/hob_operations.html

Midsouth fan

Engr/'duc/brkmn/DS
The LTEX 3000 sure is sitting on purdy lookin track. With all of this talk about 10 mph running, I presume this isn't mainline?

We just started getting frac sand for our transload customer this month. It comes from Nebraska in covered hoppers and is a totally different color than what is in the pics.

MarkJL

Railfan Railroader
Midsouth Fan, the photo of LTEX 3000 was taken while it was in use during the construction of Gloabal 4 yard at Joliet, Il. I think this photo was taken by LTEX while the locomotive was there. The Henderson to Overton Texas Branch Line or HOB Line is also 10mph track, even though the entire line is all welded rail and in relatively good shape.
The frac sand we get arrives in regular gongola cars. The word I keep hearing is we are suppose to get unit trains of 60 cars shortly with Union Pacific power. Which will operate over the HOB Line.

The following link is of LTEX 3000 when it was in use during the construction of Global 4 yard http://www.rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=6944 .

Tower 55

Its DGNO. Not Dingo!
Mark,

I told folks that the HOB 70(have we decided if its a true GP7 or an IC GP11?) wasnt going to cut it, and more power would be needed. I even said it would be a GP40-2(I know LTEX 3000 is a GP40-3). I am about to make another prediction. You guys get those rock trains, and if TXU builds the connector they are thinking about, I predict more power. I see more GeePs in your future. GP40-2s to be exact.

Behold my crystal ball! It has a Gyralite in it.

GP40X_fan

Hob 70

Mark,

(have we decided if its a true GP7 or an IC GP11?) .

HOB 70 is a GP7, it was a GP10 but the paducah style air filter was removed turning it back to a GP7. A friend of mine worked on & ran this unit when it was Great Miami #70.

GP40X_fan

MarkJL

Railfan Railroader
I can see the BN green paint breaking through the former Great Miami Maroon paint on HOB 70. Also Tower 55 I am looking forward to more GP40-2's, thanks for the info.

Tower 55

Its DGNO. Not Dingo!
Mark,

I'm not say its gonna happen. Its just my guess.

Back about 5 years ago when UP first started trying to sell what is now the HOB, They had a bunch of units for that line, mostly GP40-2s and GP60s. Of course UP also used the power on that line for the stuff around Troup and whatnot.

Since BLR/HOB doesnt really exceed 20MPH, I think road slugs would be an excellent idea. Seeing as BLR/HOB has friends in Austin, getting some TECQ funds for new power is NOT out of the question. Imagine some GP40s rebuilt as GP32ECOs(3,200hp Tier 2 rated, gas savers), but also built as Mothers. Then snag some GP7s, or whatever is cheap, and rip the guts out of them to makes them road slugs. Turn around and sell the guts to NRE or somebody. Plenty of available horsepower, and lots of tractive effort. DGNO used to do this way back in the day.

Tower 55

Its DGNO. Not Dingo!
Technically its stored serviceable. When it last ran, it wasnt doing too good. It may be used as a bit of a parts source, but I dont think its going to be scrapped or parted out.

There are rumors floating around that it will rebuilt. Nothing conformed, but the grant money is there.

GP40X_fan

Dgno 4025

Wonder if they would give that old girl coat of paint? Has that unit been there since DGNO started up?

GP40X_fan

Tower 55

Its DGNO. Not Dingo!
Not it got down here well after start up. The first DGNO locomotives were RailTex blue/blue.

If only I could find Jim Bradley's(RIP) old DGNO online roster. He had pics of the various locomotives to be assigned to DGNO at one point or another. Ex-BN GP50s now on HECR, GP40X, etc.

Every rebuild thus far has gotten a fresh paint job. If they do send it off for rebuilding, it'll come back in RA red, white, and blue.

Tower 55

Its DGNO. Not Dingo!
Yeah that was some project they were gonna try about 4 years ago when the first GenSets arrived. 20 GenSets, 3 GP38-2s. I dont know if its still in the works, especially with the current funding DGNO has available. Admittedly I havent spoken to Jim or John in a good while, but I will try on the next batch of photos I deliver. Its hard to get updated info as more than a few of my acquantances have retired in the past year. Its a bummer.

Keep an eye out for those extra CFNR GP15-1s. 1 is on the way, and may be on the property now, CFNR 108(yall already have 105 and 107).They were supposed to be converted to 710ECOs, but I dont know if thats still happening.

Where are you working out of? Garland, Mockingbird, Mercer or up north?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)