Cuba 2003 XII... Homewards across the Bermuda Triangle - THE END (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous trip report part:
Cuba 2003 XI... On the Road back through Cuba (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum...2003-XI-On-the-Road-back-through-Cuba-(50-p-)

February 28 2003

We left our old city center accomodation in Havanna already early in the morning to return our rental cars.
cu031201.jpg

Good morning, Havanna! :)
cu031202.jpg

The drive to the other end of the island had left its traces; our rental company was situated right next to a cheap copy of fast food chain "Rapido" - "Rapidito".
cu031203.jpg

Subsequently we took a cab to Havanna international airport.
cu031204.jpg

Once more we flew via Nassau.
cu031205.jpg

Cubana also had modern airplanes at its disposal, leased from San Salvadorian TACA.
cu031206.jpg

However, we were queueing to get on a good old Soviet crate. Still, the passengers clearly did not come from Soviet times, you noticed clearly that we were returning to more obese regions.
cu031207.jpg

As on the flight to Cuba we took our seats on a Yak-42, featuring a wonderful view at the turbines decorated by confidence inspiring screws. We already thought it would be our last flight in this type of plane...
cu031208.jpg

... when my cousin went to the toilet midflight, suddenly a fainting female tourist collapsed into her arms right in front of the door. The lady's travel companions subsequently asked out of some reason that she should be returned to Havanna for treatment... this provided us with the third Yak-42 flight, nine flights overall on this journey, my record so far!
As side effect we had to skip the day on Paradise Beach, in return gained another look at the lovely Havanna concrete skyline.
cu031209.jpg

In the afternoon we finally touched down at Nassau airport.
cu031210.jpg

The captain of our Yak-42 was being greeted enthusiastically by his colleagues.
cu031211.jpg

The immigration live band performed in front of a sparser audience without the full lineup this time.
cu031212.jpg

After checking into our hotel from last time, El Greco, we took a cab as fast as possible through Nassau downtown towards Paradise Island.
Hope it helps! ;-)
cu031213.jpg

On the bridge to the island we enjoyed this view of cruise ships in port.
cu031214.jpg

Hotel Atlantis sat enthroned above it all.
cu031215.jpg

We still caught a breeze of Paradise Beach.
cu031216.jpg

cu031217.jpg

In the evening we explored the surreal kitsch of Atlantis.
cu031218.jpg

Inside gambling hell... ;-)
cu031219.jpg

cu031220.jpg

cu031221.jpg

Well... maybe this gentleman could overthink his hair and moustache styling in front of a mirror next time... ;-)
cu031222.jpg

cu031223.jpg

Dinner among fish.
cu031224.jpg

cu031225.jpg

The hotel entrance had not been designed any less pretentious.
cu031226.jpg

In the evening we drove back into town.
cu031227.jpg

We ate dinner at the more modest "Senor Frog" in Nassau looking at the cruise ships moored at Prince George Wharf.
cu031228.jpg

Self portrait on the last Caribbean evening of the trip.
cu031229.jpg

March 1 2003

Next morning I left the hotel to go shopping.
cu031230.jpg

Yoyo, it's the Bahama-PD!
cu031231.jpg

As one souvenir I pinched a Nassau phone book from the hotel for a female friend who had a crush on an island resident with unknown address and phone number. For someone else I carried one gallon of Gatorade - in the hand luggage! Even 1 1/2 years after 9/11 this still was possible...
cu031232.jpg

cu031233.jpg

For a last time I visited the town beach which was almost exclusively used by locals.
cu031234.jpg

Despite the nearby port the water seemed crystal clear (perhaps including a few drops of oil).
cu031235.jpg

cu031236.jpg

Around noon we took a cab to the airport for a short hop to Miami - no problems to be expected there, right?
cu031237.jpg

Not a bit of it! We had to wait almost two hours for the delayed 737-200 from Miami!
cu031238.jpg

As we finished boarding we already feared for our connecting flight to Europe. At least US immigration already had been completed in Nassau.
Open cockpit doors - obviously still no problem.
cu031239.jpg

Thankfully we soon afterwards saw Miami appear - Miami Beach in the center, downtown to the far left, a row of cruise ships inbetween.
cu031240.jpg

For final approach the plane had to perform an additional turn towards the Everglades. You can see well how square after square of artificial suburbs had been carved out of the swampland.
cu031241.jpg

Baggage had not been checked through and the conveyor belt did not start for ages. With only 45 minutes to spare we finally reached the Air France counter. Of course we were immediately lectured that we should check in 2 hours ahead of boarding - but when we mentioned our delay, they shut up.

Our not very clean monster for the Atlantic crossing.
cu031242.jpg

It did not start well: dinner was delayed two hours because of bad weather while we rumbled through turbulences above the Bermuda triangle.
cu031243.jpg

March 2 2003

Weather stayed turbulent throughout the night, next morning we landed in rain at Paris Charles de Gaulle.
cu031244.jpg

Interesting Terminal 2F (not the one that collapsed soon afterwards).
cu031245.jpg

An A320 to Munich awaited us.
cu031246.jpg

Dreary weather following the Caribbean feeling.
cu031247.jpg

After a very soft landing at Munich we first had to pick up our minivan and winter jackets. Someone else was being greeted in a creative way... ;)
cu031248.jpg

As we had to change into a smaller car in Linz and it probably would be the quicker way home for me, I was dropped off at Linz main station. At that time some locomotive classes and liveries still could be seen that are not around today anymore.
cu031249.jpg

I had just missed one train to Vienna, so I waited an hour for the next InterCity from Salzburg which back then partly still where hauled by German class 101s.
cu031250.jpg

Grey weather, everyday commuters - I wondered if anyone was interested that I had been to Nassau yesterday, to Havanna the day before that?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back