CSX employment concerns

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

jhunt33

Hey everyone! First off i would like to say hello seeing as i am new here. I have been trying to get with CSX for about 6 months. I finally got the interview on Dec. 8th. I was notified on Dec. 9th that i was selected and was told i would be scheduled for all the medical and strength testing. I took my strength test Dec. 11th in Atlanta and my medical testing Dec. 17th. I waited patiently without hearing anything until Jan. 8th before i finally called HR. She told me the background came back fine except for employment verification in 2011 and she asked for a letter stating that i worked for that employer in 2011 which was no problem. I had the verification and emailed to her within a few hours. My concern is that since then i haven't heard anything. Ive tried calling and emailing with no luck in getting an answer. During briefing the guy told us they are filling spots for Feb. 2nd and Feb. 9th. I am just concerned something is wrong. Any ideas or advice on what i should do?
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
CSX can be so slow and sloppy with their hiring process. Sometimes I wonder how they manage to keep on top of things. Who have you emailed? Tamara Pulliam? or perhaps Shannon Mcveagh? From my experience with CSX, UP, NS and KCS thus far these railroaders are in no big friggin hurry to hire anyone. And I am going for the management side of the house!

FYI, I was invited to Jacksonville in November of 2014 for the mechanical manager assessment. I know that 1100 people applied, 400 of us received webcam interviews and 60 of us made it to Jacksonville. I didn't make the final cut.

Since i have posted this i have gotten in contact with them and they notified me that i had passed everything so now i am just waiting for a date to go to training. Im hoping that it comes soon. We have already been pushed back twice so who knows when. I have been going to college for 3 and half years now so i have full intentions on taking advantage of their tuition reimbursement program and finishing online and then moving up into management

Well that's outstanding! I already have my Bachelor's of Science in Technical Management Logistics and I am taking classes for a Master's of Science in Transportation Management. I have applications in with several of the Class Is and it looks like I'm interviewing with Union Pacific very soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I wish you the best of luck. I was going to school for chemical engineering but i would still have had about a year and half left before i graduated but when i go back online im going to do something with supply chain management or something in the safety field. Im not sure which one would be beneficial to my career.

I think either or would be fine if you plan on a long career in the railroad. In supply chain management you could start out as a trainmaster on the line in the "scary, harsh" jobs and then later make a move into strategic purchasing or some other cushy 9 to 5 headquarters job once you're older and graying like me. I am actually being considered for a strategic purchasing position with BNSF for locomotive parts acquisition but I am not holding my breath. I'm sure the competition is fierce and there are applicants by the hundreds that are far more qualified than I. But it's nice to make the "under consideration" pile.

Im pretty young to be starting im only 23 so i have plenty of time to work my way up to where i want to be. Thats why i made the choice to take the job over school right now because i may not have another opportunity like this and also i can go back online and they will pay for it.... its a no brainer lol

Just an update. I have interviewed with KCS for a Line-of-Service manager position (no impact, no idea) and BNSF for an EFLS mechanical position (waiting for an invite to a hiring session). I've been placed on the "application approved" list with UP for a trainmaster position and I am waiting for an invite to a hiring session with them as well. The mechanical management trainee position I didn't get last year was reposted to CSX's website recently. I was asked, via Linkedin email to reapply by one of the recruiters (which I did), only to be rejected yet again! This time without an interview so I suspect there is a whole lot of sloppiness and internal disagreements amongst the CSX human resources "professionals." However, here is the kicker ... someone totally new to me at CSX with whom I have not had any prior contact with emailed me last week wanting to set up an interview for their trainmaster trainee program. So I am also waiting to hear back from her. I have also passed the initial online management tests for both NS and CN for several management positions. So I am in a state of annoying limbo with six out of the seven North American Class Is. Sheesh!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back