Coast Guard to Railroad...

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

BryGuy

Good Afternoon - New to the forum and new to the railroad. Just curious if anyone has every known of someone going from the Coast Guard to the railway industry. Also, previous military and their hiring experience.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The railroads state that 1 in 4 people they hire are ex-military. UP is often recolonized with high % of hiring former military. The railroads like military history because the railroad as with the military is an unforgiving place, and if you make a mistake people can be hurt or die.

1 in 5 at UP are prior military. I served 7 years in the Navy as an aviation electrician. My experience proves very beneficial as a diesel electrician. Locomotive electrical systems are very similar to that of aircraft. What was your rating in the Coast Guard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, do you know the difference between a fairy tail and a sea story? A fairy tale begins with "once upon a time" and a sea story starts with "this is no s**t this really happened!" I'm the guy.
I spent four years in the CG. Overseas and underway then a small boat STA on the eastern shore.
I messed around a few years then spent 14 years working at CSXT.
Look up the Hogan personality test. When I go to a kick-ass party I feel like...
*reading a good book to get away from the noise.
*drive my GTO across every front yard in the neighborhood.
*Can I just have a glass of juice, I've lost my car.
*your sister is how old?
You may just like RR for a few years but for me I'd rather go boating.

There are plenty of ex military guys working out here in all crafts and management. When I first started out here (8 yrs ago) a guy that was getting retired told me that working for the railroad was like a cross between working for the military and the circus. I haven't found him to be wrong, guess that is why they like hiring ex military so much.

Michele

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back