CN lawsuit alleges $270M in freight was hit by rail blockade in northern B.C.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
CN lawsuit alleges $270M in freight was hit by rail blockade in northern B.C.

CN Rail is suing protesters who allegedly blocked dozens of its trains in northern B.C. in February in support of the Wet'suwet'en Nation.

The railway company said a two-day protest action in New Hazelton affected nearly 5,000 freight cars, stranding the Port of Prince Rupert and backing up rail traffic as far east as Winnipeg.

CN filed the civil suit in February against unnamed demonstrators who blocked the major rail line with lawn chairs, tents and pallets between Smithers and Terrace on Feb. 8 and 9.

It is real hard to say something nice about these type of stories, without looking like some kind of racist sob.
All I can this about these events is: Go CN, Go! Milk these selfish, greedy terrorist's dry; as you cannot fix stupid.

BOB it's you're fault, for raising up my blood pressure. Here is a photo of a terrorist group attempting to derail a very nice ET44AC during the same time period of events, with no concern for the welfare of CN employees operating that train. This is a media photo:
ET44AC_ Feb2020.jpg

You won't find any complaints from me. What their political point of view was doesn't really matter.

I'm in favor of peaceful protests. Even ones that shut down rail lines. However, there's a limit. You set up a blockade, you get the TV crews out there, you make the news, you get publicity and then you remove the blockade.

This went on for a long time. They put the line in gridlock and caused the railroad significant losses. As you state, some of their actions also put the crews lives in danger.

I feel the lawsuit is totally justified, we'll see what comes of it though. Finding out who (if anyone) was in charge and who told who to do what will likely be challenging at best.

Everyone has a right to free speech, but when you cause damage exercising that right, then there are consequences for your actions. Whether or not your cause is just doesn't really matter in that aspect.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back