Cloudy With A Chance Of Orange

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
After planning to go for more than a month, I finally made my way to the South Carolina upstate to chase the Pickens Railway. The weather was kind of crappy, but the orange U-Boats of the PICK more than made up for it.

Here we find the Belton/Honea Path job parked just west of the Anderson St crossing in Belton, SC. The crew had stopped to grab coffee at a gas station across the street to the left. As with all of the PICK's locomotives, U18B #9507 was built in 1970 for Seaboard Coast Line and was later pressed into Maintenance of Way service by CSX. (Click on the photos for the larger image)
IMG_3202.jpg

Crossing the Rocky River on the way into Anderson, SC.
IMG_3223.jpg

Getting ready to cross North Fant St in Anderson.
IMG_3231.jpg

9507 from the Belton Job meets up with 9500 from the Gluck Job at the Norfolk Southern interchange near West Orr St.
IMG_3236.jpg

9507 moves cars about at the interchange while 9500 waits on the line heading down to Gluck, SC.
IMG_3272.jpg

The Norfolk Southern local with four high-hood Geeps for power. Two GP50s in front and two GP38-2s trailing. It has just picked up cars from the PICK and is preparing to depart. The train is seen along Kates St on the Northwest end of the city.
IMG_3281.jpg

For more photos from the day as well as a video, please check out my blog. The video is not the greatest quality, but the sounds of the U-Boat and it's Leslie horns are awesome.

Thanks for looking!

Wyatt Heilman

The One and Only "Y@"
Very nice set Tommy. Always been interested in making a trip down there, just haven't gotten around to it. And don't even get me started on the money I'd need to get down there! :rolleyes:

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
Thanks Wyatt. I hear you on the money thing. If you ever do get a chance to head down this way though it's certainly worth it. Just in the upstate alone, there are three shortlines w/in 45 min of each other. Pickens Railway, Greenville & Western RR and the Carolina Piedmont RR.

bogray

Kentucky Colonel
I know I commented on this series on your Flickr page...love shortlines in small towns with interesting old buildings. The video...actually the audio...is a nice bonus! Well done.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
I know I commented on this series on your Flickr page...love shortlines in small towns with interesting old buildings. The video...actually the audio...is a nice bonus! Well done.
Thanks man. The audio was great. The video on the other hand... The first two weren't shaky, but the quality was low. In the last clip, the quality was much better, but there was a lot of shake going on from freehanding my iPhone and getting hungry. Within the next couple of years I plan on picking up a new camcorder. Of course, the 5D Mk II coming next week can do a little double duty in the meantime.

And I share your love of small towns with old buildings. Especially those with old brick facades.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)