Chiggen Flies the Coop, Heads to California

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Placerville & Sacramento Valley welcomes steam locomotive for excursions

The Placerville & Sacramento Valley Railroad has received an operating steam locomotive for excursions on a portion of the former Southern Pacific Placerville branch in Northern California. Santa Cruz Portland Cement No. 2, an oil-burning 0-4-0 built by H.K. Porter in 1909, was purchased by Efstathios Pappas in 2006. Since its restoration, it has operated at the Niles Canyon Railway, Roaring Camp Railroads, and Northwest Railway Museum.

I lived in Sacramento from 1973-1984. From a railfan's standpoint, the former SP line from Folsom to Placerville should be perfect for excursion trains pulled by a steam locomotive. There is significant elevation gain to work the locomotive and the line is fairly twisty in spots as in winds through the Sierra footthills east of Sacramento.

When I left the area it passed through some nice, rural, scenic areas of valley oaks. I don't know if these areas have been developed since I left.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back