Chicago area for British Railfan?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

clive

Hi Guys nice to be here, can anyone help in providing a little information on Railfanning the racetrack in Chicago?
As you probably know i'm a Brit and looking at filming the some action at the racetrack, i plan to visit in August and will have my own transport i would like to know of any B&Bs that might be available near the racetrack?
As i am also new to the area i would like to know if any one of you guys might want hang out with me to share the rail action, i also plan to make this trip into a Documentary style programme for us Brits back here in the UK which we has huge fan base for the American Railroad scene.
An interview style commentary with an American Railfan would be good also highlighting the history and significance of the racetrack.

Thanks, anyone interested then please i would be more than happy to hear your comments

I've always liked the short stretch from Hinsdale to Highlands. It has some nice suburban scenes along the ex-Burlington three track main. Freight traffic does not appear to be as heavy as it was before the BNSF merger. Metra commuter trains are busy at rush hour and about hourly on off peak times. I suspect some of the freight traffic has moved to the ex-ATFS main line a few miles to the south. North from Hinsdale about 8 miles is the Union Pacific mainline (ex-CNW) at Elmhurst. Elmhurst is immediately west of the Proviso yard. Traffic is busy but slower moving. There is parking immediately to the south of the track. At the east of of the parking is a row a pine tress that make a nice spot to set. I'm not familiar with bed & breakfasts in the area.

Thanks Pat much appreciated, in total how many freight trains would you expect to see along the 30 mile route of the racetrack during daylight hours?

Maybe someone close to Chicago will jump in, but I'd guess 50 trains in a 24 hour period. Freight wise the last couple times I was there morning into afternoon seemed busy then it slows down for the evening rush hour. How long a trip are you planning?

Maybe someone close to Chicago will jump in, but I'd guess 50 trains in a 24 hour period. Freight wise the last couple times I was there morning into afternoon seemed busy then it slows down for the evening rush hour. How long a trip are you planning?

Thanks Pat, i plan on 10 days and will have my own transport, i have had this idea in my head for years to follow the route that Emery Gulash did in the sixties and record it to film for a Video Production.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back